Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Montana Coal, Powering America
Posted By: Bob Harris, 08-01-2012, 09:44 PM

Coal, a resource that we must continue to take advantage of.

Attached Images

Views: 1,679
08-03-2012, 10:43 PM   #16
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good job on that one Bob! You move around a lot, which keeps it interesting!

Regards!

08-04-2012, 06:29 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Good job on that one Bob! You move around a lot, which keeps it interesting!

Regards!
thanks for looking Rupert, we are headed into Glacier NP in an hour for some more shots of that area. Bob
08-04-2012, 06:59 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
thanks for looking Rupert, we are headed into Glacier NP in an hour for some more shots of that area. Bob
If you come through Kalispell (Hwy 2 and Hwy 35 junction), wave out the window -- we just may see you going past.
08-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Great shot Bob, I'd like to live in an area like that. The sound of a train whistle in the distance when you are out on the prairie is a very lonesome sound.

08-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stan Quote
If you come through Kalispell (Hwy 2 and Hwy 35 junction), wave out the window -- we just may see you going past.
I sure well Stan, we will mainly be on the east side though. thanks Bob
08-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #21
Pentaxian

This area at one time was completely falling apart because of the pollution from acid rain, mostly caused by coal fired plants... so it begs the question... is the coal technology of today better than that killed so many of our lakes and many of our maple sugar bushes? The lakes are coming back, the sugar bushes will take a lot longer.. but I have no idea if it's more environmentally designed coal plants.. or that coal plants have been shut down. For years here, coal fired plants in the northern US were killing fish in lakes that had no other sources of pollution... I have no desire to go back to that. But who knows, maybe the new plants have scrubbers etc...
08-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deaning Quote
I really like your composition here Bob!
Me too - the straight line of the rail/cars, the gully in the center with the road winding through the center, and the small pile in the foreground all come together so nicely - very pleasing to view!

08-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
This area at one time was completely falling apart because of the pollution from acid rain, mostly caused by coal fired plants... so it begs the question... is the coal technology of today better than that killed so many of our lakes and many of our maple sugar bushes? The lakes are coming back, the sugar bushes will take a lot longer.. but I have no idea if it's more environmentally designed coal plants.. or that coal plants have been shut down. For years here, coal fired plants in the northern US were killing fish in lakes that had no other sources of pollution... I have no desire to go back to that. But who knows, maybe the new plants have scrubbers etc...

Norm, the EPA successfully reduced emissions by banning medical and municipal incinerators, which until 1990 rivaled power plants for mercury pollution. That doesn't answer the question though, as coal plants still continue to be the main culprit of acid rain and sulfur dioxide. Older plants have now been shut down and new scrubbers, ponds and activated carbon when burning coal has improved harmful emissions. Most of the coal plants are base load plants, or only put in operation when system demand is being reached. As said in another post, China is purchasing a lot of US coal and a terminal for exporting more coal is being built on the West coast, this is good our declining economy creating thousands of jobs in Wyoming and Montana and other states. I guess the answer depends upon what side of the fence a person is on, but if coal plants are suddenly taken off line, major blackouts will occur often. I did read where more natural gas burning plants are being built to provide us with power, but government groups also want to do away with hydraulic fracturing and other ways to extract gas. Our countries runs on hydrocarbons and until another source comes to be or more nuclear plants are allowed I think improving the plants we have is the only answer. The Keystone Pipeline was a perfect match for Canada and the US, but that plan was cancelled due to our current administration policies.
08-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
Great shot Bob, I'd like to live in an area like that. The sound of a train whistle in the distance when you are out on the prairie is a very lonesome sound.
thanks CJ, a cool shot would be an old steamer out on the prairie, black smoke billowing from the stacks with a waiting town in the background, something that was once common back in the day.
08-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Me too - the straight line of the rail/cars, the gully in the center with the road winding through the center, and the small pile in the foreground all come together so nicely - very pleasing to view!
Funny thing is, we were in this campground for about 3 days and were having dinner in the motorhome and I was looking out the window at the RR bridge and thought that would be a cool shot, so I went out later and conveniently a train came by pulling coal cars. The rest is history as they say, I wonder who said that. Thanks for the kind words, glad you enjoyed the view from Cut Bank, Montana.
08-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Although I haven't run the software for years (it's PC & I use a Mac now), I believe the old Microsoft Train Simulator had part of that route in it. I remember switching freight cars in Kalispell and I'm sure I remember Cut Bank.

Perhaps I did drive a long train over that bridge (in a simulated world ) in your photo if that's part of the main line.
08-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
Although I haven't run the software for years (it's PC & I use a Mac now), I believe the old Microsoft Train Simulator had part of that route in it. I remember switching freight cars in Kalispell and I'm sure I remember Cut Bank.

Perhaps I did drive a long train over that bridge (in a simulated world ) in your photo if that's part of the main line.
Sounds like you are right, the RR tracks parallel with Highway 2 all the way to Kalispell and start at an area called Harlem on the east side. The tracks basically run on the south side of Glacier NP. Bob
08-05-2012, 05:39 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Older plants have now been shut down and new scrubbers, ponds and activated carbon when burning coal has improved harmful emissions.
I suspect that's the part that's helping us out.. those coal cars make a great shot...

QuoteQuote:
The Keystone Pipeline was a perfect match for Canada and the US, but that plan was cancelled due to our current administration policies.
And the three serious oil spills Endridge has had in the last few months. Endridge has been so incompetent maintaining their lines and cleaning up their spills, I'd be amazed if any new pipelines are built in the next 20 years. There is exposed Endridge pipeline under a river in Toronto... tremendous potential for a rupture and spill... Endbridge claims they are working on the problem and addressing it. But it 's been that way for over two years. They are simply not a responsible company, and their pipeline technology is anything but spill proof. In terms of Keystone... Endbridge is big coal's best friend. The all Canadain route which is supposed to take our oil to China is now stalled.. over concerns about the pipeline oil spills. No one wants a pipeline in their neighbourhood. And these recent spills have given pipeline opponents all the ammunition they need. My guess is in the end, we go back to nuclear.