Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

DFA50mm f2.8 1:1 Macro - LBA Thread
Posted By: Asad_Masede, 12-31-2006, 12:54 PM

It was a snap decision, my friend Jack Simpson who works at a camera shop had one, I asked him to show it to me; five minutes later I was handing him the cash... cash that came from the sale of my retired DS, some 10 minutes before that.

Anyway, I love the lens! It's optical characteristics like sharpness and bokeh are "stunning" to say the least.

I've had the Tamron 90mm macro for quite a while now and also love that lens, but the focal length is somewhat off IMO. It's neither a dedicated detail/flower/copy macro, nor is it long enough for serious bug shooting. (remember, just my opinion) So I decided to get a 50mm Macro and then later, depending upon need, something close to a 200mm.

Here are some shots from the first couple of days I had the DFA50 Macro.

What did I say about the blur, this one was on a tripod, the rest are all hand-held:

Another sample:

This is the actual first shot with the lens, but I don't think it deserves to be posted before those roses:

SR helps with Macro as well:

Next post: Non Macro use.
Views: 4,750
01-02-2007, 10:07 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
WOW. That first picture is........just wow. So, how much was that lens?
Thanks for the nice compliment! The price was $449 CAD + tax if I remember correctly. Well worth it.

Cheers!
-Asad

01-02-2007, 10:28 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
This is very impressive of a great macro lens which is often ignored in forums. Without your examples photos, I would have never considered using this lens at all.

The typical pentax colour is very obvious here and the bokeh is so creamy as well. A really playful lens to own.

I like all the shots in this post

Thanks roentarre. It's ignored mainly because of it's focal length, but that very focal length also makes it an almost perfect lens; very well corrected and VERY sharp wide open. It's very small, but the hood is funny.

It replaces my Tamron, now I'll look for a longer than 100mm focal length Macro, for the bugs.

Glad that the lens is now under consideration or might be at some point. It's a good one. ;-)

Cheers,
-Asad
01-02-2007, 10:30 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
This macro fetish is growing and there are some really nice posts today. I like your compositions and visual story telling on the second set too.
I think you should get one as well. Why miss out on an entirely new world of photography.

Thanks Clarence.

Cheers,
-Asad
01-02-2007, 10:44 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Asad, everyone else has said it allready these are very nice photos. The first and second, especially the second is just soooo..marvelous. Thanks for posting the series, it is a top notch lens but I am hankering for the 100mm. There are just too many bugs around that would like their picture taken. :-)

Heinrich

01-02-2007, 11:36 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
yeah...macro fetish...im gonna hate going to B and H this week..(or adorama, as i'm so close there....we'll see what happens @ lunch on tuesday...:ugh: ) great shots btw asad...(which is making me want to get a macro even more)
Uh oh, better prepare you wallet for a beating!

Thanks Jon!

Cheers,
-Asad
01-02-2007, 11:37 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
All are great but that first one is a knock out. Looks like it was money well spent.
Regards,
Yes it was! And thanks for the comment. :-)

Cheers,
-Asad
01-02-2007, 11:50 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
These are really good samples, judging by them it looks like this is a really nice offering from Pentax. I've been considering replacing my DFA 100/2.8 for a while, this might be the one.

I can always throw the 1.7x teleconverter and get a super-close-focusing 85mm...
Hi Sean! Thanks! Glad you liked the samples. I find this lens to be more conductive to non-bug macros (not that anything's wrong with bug macros) than the 90-100mm lenses.

Oh! I should try my extension tubes with this lens!

Cheers!
-Asad

01-03-2007, 12:34 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
I really like the flower shots and the lighting is superb! I would love a macro lens like that but would rather have some talent
Thanks borno. You can get a nice macro for fairly cheap ($150 or even less), so you can practice some on that then move to something else. :-)

Cheers,
-Asad
01-03-2007, 12:38 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
a great series as a study in DOF.
i do like the distance of a 100mm tho
Yeah, distance is the reason why I want a nice long macro specifically for the bugs!

Thanks!

Cheers,
-Asad
01-03-2007, 12:39 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photochop Quote
The first 2 are gorgeous. I like your selected points of focus and that bokeh is very creamy. Money well spent!
Yes, the creamyness of the bokeh is what I noticed too, I knew Pentax lenses had nice blur, but this is special. Money not spent, the lens is the money.

Cheers!
-Asad
01-03-2007, 12:41 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Hi Asade,

Those first two are beautiful - worthy of framing, no doubt!

Please keep those shots coming. I think we're weakening the resolve of the folks without a macro lens...

Cheers,
Marc
Hello Marc, good to see you here. :-)

Yes, I think we might push a few of these macro-shy photographers over if we keep posting.

Thanks!

Cheers,
-Asad
01-03-2007, 12:43 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photodan Quote
Yea, the first one is a stunner. I agree with everyone but for me that "Hard Hat" shot is great. I like the composition, the textures, the colors and the theme. Always did like those kinds of images and that one is special. As always, IMHO.

Dan
Thanks, Dan! I like the Hard Hat one too, exactly for the same reason as you do.

Your opinion is more than welcome. :-)

Cheers,
-Asad
01-03-2007, 12:44 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Scott Rylance Quote
Great series Asad...the first is superb. It's surprising that this lens doesn't get more said about it, It gives excellent result from what I've seen with your shots.
Hello Scott, thanks!

Yeah, you hear a lot about the DFA100 but this isn't mentioned much, I think it's the focal length.

Thanks, glad you find them excellent.

Cheers,
-Asad
01-03-2007, 12:45 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Hi Asad, everyone else has said it allready these are very nice photos. The first and second, especially the second is just soooo..marvelous. Thanks for posting the series, it is a top notch lens but I am hankering for the 100mm. There are just too many bugs around that would like their picture taken. :-)

Heinrich
I agree, I miss the bugs, but I hope to get something like a 180mm or 200mm Macro for those, for now I'll use the DFA50 for the non-bugs.

Thanks for the comment. :-)

Cheers,
-Asad
01-03-2007, 01:47 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Asad,

You're in for a treat. The quality of this lens surprises me every time. It's small and doesn't seem to be particularly sturdy or anything, but wow! Here's one sample I took just before Christmas of my wifes cell phone with the DFA 50/2.8 and even a cheap UV filter on it. This is a 4 mp *** JPG straight out of the DS resized and no sharpening applied. Keep it clean,

50mm, f/5.6