Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Great Egrets
Lens: DA 55-300 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Huntington Beach SP, SC Shutter Speed: 1/2000s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: slowpez, 08-04-2012, 07:10 AM

Trying to capture BIFs. Some of my favorites. All handheld. The first was at ISO 100 and the last two at 400.

Last edited by slowpez; 08-26-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Views: 1,416
08-04-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice. BIF can be pretty challenging at times, but it is always rewarding when they turn out.
08-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the 2nd is my favorite a bit soft, but blends in well with the sky color. These are sure beautiful birds.
08-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
Very nice. BIF can be pretty challenging at times, but it is always rewarding when they turn out.
You have that right.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
the 2nd is my favorite a bit soft, but blends in well with the sky color. These are sure beautiful birds.
I keep promising myself a better lens but so far no luck. I'm thinking of hanging out at Rupert's place. He's such a softie he will probably buy me one.

08-05-2012, 05:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Susan these are lovely shots of a gorgeous bird! I think the second is pretty special. I can see the soft textures of the feathers and I love the down turn of the wing tip. Very very nice indeed! BIFs can be addictive. I can't wait to get out and try again. thanks for the inspiration!!
08-05-2012, 05:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You did well capturing the elegance and grace of this beautiful bird - well done.
08-05-2012, 06:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
N0 2 for sure though I have an aversion to that number (uncle dean, uncle dean, need number 2 NOW). These are not fast fliers and f8 could be reduced (clear blue sky) as well as the ISO, N0 3 has distinct noise problems. JM2C, oops this is not the critique forum. How much zoom was used? see it was a 55-300mm.

08-05-2012, 06:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Susan these are lovely shots of a gorgeous bird! I think the second is pretty special. I can see the soft textures of the feathers and I love the down turn of the wing tip. Very very nice indeed! BIFs can be addictive. I can't wait to get out and try again. thanks for the inspiration!!
Thanks Tess. That is so nice of you to say.

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
You did well capturing the elegance and grace of this beautiful bird - well done.
Another thanks you wildman. I appreciate your kind comment.

QuoteOriginally posted by deaning Quote
N0 2 for sure though I have an aversion to that number (uncle dean, uncle dean, need number 2 NOW). These are not fast fliers and f8 could be reduced (clear blue sky) as well as the ISO, N0 3 has distinct noise problems. JM2C, oops this is not the critique forum. How much zoom was used? see it was a 55-300mm.
I remember those days of #1 and #2 so well. Had to laugh. As far as the critique goes, I welcome any and all help I can get. The first and second ones (I could have said #1 and #2 but refrained ) were taken at 120mm and the last was at 300mm. All were taken at ISO 400. I'm not seeing the noise you are seeing on my computer but my eyes are old. Could be from the upload? Surely the K-5 can handle ISO 400 without noise?
I appreciate your taking the time to help me out deaning.
08-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Susan, these shots are so amazing. It's hard to believe how graceful these birds look in flight. While they are beautiful on the ground, I always think they look a bit awkward. In air, though, magical. You've captured that magic so well here. Congrats!!!
08-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wonderful shots!
08-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Great captures Susan!
08-08-2012, 08:19 AM   #12
SJM
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Oh wow.. hand held even.. I can not capture a decent shot without my tripod.. Nice work!!
08-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
You have that right.

I keep promising myself a better lens but so far no luck. I'm thinking of hanging out at Rupert's place. He's such a softie he will probably buy me one.
Rupert might not be a good idea. From what I've seen, he expects all his foundlings to pose for pictures. And I like the modeling of the feathers in the your first image.
08-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Susan, these shots are so amazing. It's hard to believe how graceful these birds look in flight. While they are beautiful on the ground, I always think they look a bit awkward. In air, though, magical. You've captured that magic so well here. Congrats!!!
Thanks for the kind words Lori. I appreciate it.

QuoteOriginally posted by pbancr Quote
Wonderful shots!
Thanks so much.

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Great captures Susan!
Thank you joe. Kind of you.

QuoteOriginally posted by SJM Quote
Oh wow.. hand held even.. I can not capture a decent shot without my tripod.. Nice work!!
For some reason I just can't use a tripod for BIFs. I can't manually focus either. I am challenged in that way although I do use a tripod for everything else.

QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
Rupert might not be a good idea. From what I've seen, he expects all his foundlings to pose for pictures. And I like the modeling of the feathers in the your first image.
Forgot all about having to pose for him. Is the lens worth it do you think? I appreciate your nice comment on the photo.
08-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Great shots! What a majestic looking bird!