Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My first still-life with wireless flash.
Posted By: blwnhr, 01-28-2008, 01:30 AM

Last week I bought some white fabric and decided to experiment with some wireless flash. This was a makeshift setup and worked ok. Still needed to PS the background a bit. Will actually make a semi-proper setup sometime soon.

The subject - a bottle of some of Australia's finest dark rum.

Shot with K10D, handheld with the 18-125mm Sigma. 1/60, f/5.6, ISO-100, 45mm, Sigma EF-500 Super to the left + K10D built in flash. Shot RAW DNG and converted to JPEG in CS2, no other adjustments made to either image.

100% crop of the top label. I am mighty impressed with this for a broadly criticized kit lens.

EDIT: Oops, must have had a bit too much traffic on my Photobucket account, fixed now.

Last edited by blwnhr; 01-28-2008 at 01:40 AM.
Views: 1,454
01-28-2008, 03:34 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots - thanks for sharing.

I definitely need to upgrade my flash. Since the K10D does that wireless firing I have no excuse but to do it!

(There must be a story as to why an rum distillery in Australia uses a Polar Bear on it's label. You've got the worlds largest collection of odd animals yet they chose a creature from the extreme northern hemisphere. )
01-28-2008, 02:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's a nice photo, what you might want to try is not to fire the native flash but just use some sort of reflector in the front right. That would eliminate the vertical shadow and put sort of a glow on the liquid in the bottle from the main flash on the left.

Heinrich
01-28-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
what you might want to try is not to fire the native flash but just use some sort of reflector in the front right. That would eliminate the vertical shadow and put sort of a glow on the liquid in the bottle from the main flash on the left.
Thanks, yes I will try that. The issue I had was the shelf it was sitting on wasn't very deep so I as limited on where I could move the flash to.

I am converting my spare bedroom to a make-shift studio and will post reults once it's together.

01-28-2008, 07:21 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Hi blwnhr.

I like your shots alot, rum is a drink that i like to foray into now and again

2 things, have you considered a black background? I find you get alot more contrast with glass and liquid etc. A tripod makes all the difference to shots like these, the sharper you can get this type of subject the better
01-28-2008, 07:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, yeah I have a black background as well, wasn't as happy with the results. Will have to experiment properly.