Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Wild Goose Island
Photo Location: Glacier NP, Montana 
Posted By: Bob Harris, 08-05-2012, 04:08 PM

Just off Going to the Sun Road is Wild Goose Island, one of Glacier National Park's most photographed spots. I read that most of the photos of this famous island are taken during sunrise, I of course waited until late afternoon when it was windy, I don't get up early.

Attached Images

Views: 860
08-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You do manage to get to some great out of the way places Bob.--charliezap
08-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Hmmmmm Bob... I wonder what ti looks like at Sunrise... I guess we'll never know.
08-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
You do manage to get to some great out of the way places Bob.--charliezap
Charlie, I have found that as big as our rig is it is better to stay out of the way of crowds, I have a tendency to bump into things.

08-06-2012, 04:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Norman sees my sunrise photos and declares authoritatively they are good because its the best time of day to photograph, but unless he has to get up for a pee at 5 a.m. he never sees the sunrise himself. It is also when all the animals are out and about, quietly foraging unless it is a bird, then they are noisily carousing.

oops, sorry , off topic ... It looks like an incredible place Bob, a photographers dream-scape.

thank you so much for sharing
08-06-2012, 05:00 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Hmmmmm Bob... I wonder what ti looks like at Sunrise... I guess we'll never know.
OK Norm, I am up early for the sunrise and it isn't 6am yet. So I sit here, now what? Oh, I get it, I have to take a camera outside and take photos, forget it I'm going back to bed.
08-06-2012, 06:01 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
OK Norm, I am up early for the sunrise and it isn't 6am yet. So I sit here, now what?
Yu wouldn't believe how many times I've rolled over in my tent and look out throughout the screen... "oh , that's gorgeous, but, I'll just sleep for another few minutes." Every now and then things are so good I do get up. The guys who are really serious get up. I used to be able to get up... these days it hurts being up early... and what do you get for it? A stunned look on Tess' face...."What are you doing up? Go back to bed, this is my time for a quiet cup of coffee. " Oh ya, and a few great pictures. The thing is, you have to get up before sunrise, much of the time the sunrise (like sunsets) are nothing special...and you have a sleepy tired grumpy day for nothing.

08-06-2012, 06:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bob, if you are lucky enough for a full moon the shots from that spot can also be amazing and it doesn't interfere with either sleeping or happy hour.
08-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Norman sees my sunrise photos and declares authoritatively they are good because its the best time of day to photograph, but unless he has to get up for a pee at 5 a.m. he never sees the sunrise himself. It is also when all the animals are out and about, quietly foraging unless it is a bird, then they are noisily carousing.

oops, sorry , off topic ... It looks like an incredible place Bob, a photographers dream-scape.

thank you so much for sharing
I've always wondered why you have such beautiful sunrises and Norm seems to have only beautiful sunsets. Now the truth is known, thanks for the kind words Tess.
08-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Bob, if you are lucky enough for a full moon the shots from that spot can also be amazing and it doesn't interfere with either sleeping or happy hour.
Susan, we are now about an hour out of the park and I didn't think about the "happy hour" issue. Looks like this photo won't happen this trip.
08-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Yu wouldn't believe how many times I've rolled over in my tent and look out throughout the screen... "oh , that's gorgeous, but, I'll just sleep for another few minutes." Every now and then things are so good I do get up. The guys who are really serious get up. I used to be able to get up... these days it hurts being up early... and what do you get for it? A stunned look on Tess' face...."What are you doing up? Go back to bed, this is my time for a quiet cup of coffee. " Oh ya, and a few great pictures. The thing is, you have to get up before sunrise, much of the time the sunrise (like sunsets) are nothing special...and you have a sleepy tired grumpy day for nothing.
I got up early this morning and Terri said, what's the matter, aren't you feeling well. I went back to bed. I agree with your assessment on the early issue now Norm, glad we are agree on at least one issue.