Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Rocky Mountain National Park (trying out some new lenses)
Lens: Tokina 17mm F3.5, Tair 33 300mm F4.5 Preset Camera: K20D Photo Location: Rocky Mountain National Park 
Posted By: Colorado CJ, 08-05-2012, 08:16 PM

I got a couple of new lenses in over the past few days. Itching to start using them, I went up to the park for the day. The new (to me) lenses are a Tokina 17mm F3.5 and a Tair 33 300mm F4.5 Preset (monster 4.5 lb lens).

I've never shot landscapes with a WIDE angle lens before, I've always used either a 28mm, 50mm or 135mm, so this was a learning experience. Wide angles don't work as well for some shots as normal lenses work and vise versa. Here are a few shots taken today (need to learn more on how to use the 17mm to its full potential).

Before I start posting all the photos, here are the two lenses used today.

I cropped this one,

I had a chance to use the new Tair 33 300mm F4.5 Preset as well. I hiked down (I was above timberline) close to a herd and watched the bulls trying to gather a harem together.

That's it for today. I know already the Tokina 17mm F3.5 is a keeper. I'll have to use the Tair 33 a little more to see if I like it as well as my go-to wildlife lens, the Tair 3 (similar lenses but the Tair 33 is even larger and heavier).
Views: 1,085
08-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very nice work. Really love the first image. JIM
08-06-2012, 12:51 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Reminds me of a happy day there a year ago, with the longest lens being a STak 135/3.5.

I think your Tak 300/6.3 is better than the Tair. You pictures with it persuaded me to get one, which I quite like to use. My only preset.
08-06-2012, 04:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, a great series, the first shot is dynamite, and I loved the cropped image very much. The Bull and Harem shots are excellent. Just a great series, and nice warm tones to the images.

08-06-2012, 06:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, your learning experience sure didn't take long. Looks to be a couple of great lenses in the right hands (those would be yours.) The first shot is especially awesome. Is the rut beginning? Seems a little early (for this area at least.)
08-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Very nice work. Really love the first image. JIM
Thanks, I appreciate it!
08-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Reminds me of a happy day there a year ago, with the longest lens being a STak 135/3.5.

I think your Tak 300/6.3 is better than the Tair. You pictures with it persuaded me to get one, which I quite like to use. My only preset.
Yeah, I'm not sure about the Tair 33 yet. It doesn't have the contrast of the later Tair 3 lens (my favorite telephoto in 300mm) because of the lack of multicoatings. I do still like the Tele-Takumar 300mm F6.3 Preset, but not quite as much as that Tair 3.

08-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Wow, a great series, the first shot is dynamite, and I loved the cropped image very much. The Bull and Harem shots are excellent. Just a great series, and nice warm tones to the images.
Thank you, glad you liked them! I still have a lot to learn about wide angle landscapes though, many photos were scrapped yesturday since they were all too "busy" with that wide lens. I like the way longer lenses focus your eye to one area. Longer lenses also bring a sense of grandeur to mountain landscapes, those mountains look MUCH larger in person than the wide angle lens communicates.
08-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Well, your learning experience sure didn't take long. Looks to be a couple of great lenses in the right hands (those would be yours.) The first shot is especially awesome. Is the rut beginning? Seems a little early (for this area at least.)
Thanks Susan, I'm just an amateur trying to get better

The rut hasn't begun yet, I think the bulls are just practicing. The bulls are all still grazing together and the velvet is still on, antlers still growing. Can't wait for the fall to get some close ups of the rut though. I love watching the bulls (and sometimes the cows) sparring, and hearing the elk bugles echoing through the mountains. It's definitely a special part of the year in mountain life.