Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
The Charliezap Challenge
Lens: Pentax D-FA Macro 100 mm f/2.8 WR Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Ventura, CA 
Posted By: GeoJerry, 08-08-2012, 05:08 PM

I was getting frustrated by shallow DOF in my macro attempts, and charliezap recommended that I try the K-5's on-camera flash. I was a little skeptical at first, thinking that all of the pictures would be blown out or at least too harsh (and some were), but although the results were inconsistent, this simple technique can work very well.

Here are a bunch of the results. These were mostly shot close to 1/180, f/18, ISO 200, as charliezap recommended, with variations as appropriate. All were shot in manual and hand held.

This one shows the effects of slightly harsh lighting.

Waxy plants can give off a bit of an unwanted sheen or reflection.

Conclusions: I owe charliezap a beer.
Views: 760
08-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now you're cooking.When a shot is taken that's in the sun and the flash provides the "capture light" it only gets better.I have a Vivitar flash but the K5's flash really is an asset.The bottom line being--you can take a sunlit macro shot at f/8 or so but you can get that same shot at F/18 with flash that is hardly noticeable with the ambient light. I like what you're doing "grasshopper" --charliezap
08-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Bugger! I just ordered a ring flash. You can almost feel the texture in these shots, think I better go delete my macro thread!
08-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
Closed Account

Very well done and thanks to Charlie for the lesson!

08-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks good Jerry did an experiment myself I do find the 540 flash even diffused too strong (probalby turn down the power might work) however the on board looks pretty good - now maybe DIY some kind of diffuse unit for that ....
08-08-2012, 10:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deaning Quote
Bugger! I just ordered a ring flash. You can almost feel the texture in these shots, think I better go delete my macro thread!
Take a look at Dennis threads using a ring flash, he gets excellent results "bluestringer".
Jerry these are great, a real learning experience for all of us, soon we will all be sending royalty money to Charlie I bet.
08-09-2012, 12:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
you can take a sunlit macro shot at f/8 or so but you can get that same shot at F/18 with flash that is hardly noticeable with the ambient light. I like what you're doing "grasshopper"
Thanks! And as an extra bonus, the background is darkened with the stopped down aperture which makes for a better composition. Thanks again for this tip!

QuoteOriginally posted by deaning Quote
If you have the cash, I'd still get one. Many of my pictures just didn't look good. I think a ring flash would give more consistent results.

QuoteOriginally posted by wcchamp18 Quote
Very well done and thanks to Charlie for the lesson!
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Looks good Jerry did an experiment myself I do find the 540 flash even diffused too strong (probalby turn down the power might work)
Thanks for the good word. What is the 540 flash?

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Take a look at Dennis threads using a ring flash, he gets excellent results "bluestringer".
Jerry these are great, a real learning experience for all of us, soon we will all be sending royalty money to Charlie I bet
Thanks Bob... and my royalty checks will be in the form of beer.

08-09-2012, 06:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Beautiful shots. Kudos to Charlie for the idea but to you for pulling it off.
08-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Running out to try this! How exciting!! Wonderful and exciting work as always Jerry.
08-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks slowpez and tess, it was a fun experiment... will post a few more shortly then on to something else. :-)
This is what I like about this site, you can learn lots of new tricks, and I really like this on-camera flash for macros idea.