Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
first macros
Lens: Sigma 50mm EX DG Macro Camera: K10D Aperture: F2.8 
Posted By: deaning, 08-08-2012, 05:47 PM

Just got my new macro lens, total newbie to this but inspired by the stunning shots on this forum. Locked it to f2.8 as depth of field this low is pretty foreign and want to get an idea of what this lens will do after reading some very glowing reviews. These are not great or even good pics and are hh straight out of the camera with only downsizing for posting, ANY criticism welcome, I am here to learn and any comments apart from throw you camera away are welcome!

1&2 shot at ISO 100, 3&4 ISO 400

Obviously this Banksia above would benefit with more DOF but decided to stay at 2.8 for consistency.

Views: 522
08-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like taking macros and trying to get natural looking dof.Check out my latest thread about using flash with a macro lens.It may add another arrow in your quiver.--charliezap
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/195074-macro-just-100mm-...ound-home.html
08-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Just went there Charlie after I posted this, I have a lot of work to do!
08-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think these are done very well, I especially like #3, I would try some at f/8 and above for better results, but I can see why you want to try out the f/2.8

08-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I think these are done very well, I especially like #3, I would try some at f/8 and above for better results, but I can see why you want to try out the f/2.8
Cheers Bob. 2.8 is still in novelty phase, just got the lens yesterday and can see why it is possible to get hooked on macro! Just been looking at Charlie's threads and will try flash and some higher apertures. There is no shortage of nature around these parts. I have been shooting 360x180 panos the last week with an 8mm that have been doing my head in and think macro may be just the therapy.
08-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the macro world - I bought a true macro lens long before I really got interested in it (cause hey you have to have a macro lens right ?? Along was a fast fifty which I kept for 3 or 4 years then finally sold it) but I do use the macro lens.

Play with it , get use to it, the 50 is also a good candidate for extension tubes. Have fun is the main thing and these shots look like a good start.
08-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Play with it , get use to it, the 50 is also a good candidate for extension tubes. Have fun is the main thing and these shots look like a good start.
Thanks daacon. I had already ordered an extension bellows before the lens (should arrive today) but then saw the lens relisted and thought what the hell. The reviews of it are very good and apparently makes an excellent portrait lens as well. Bonus! Got it for $239 and it is in pristine condition and not a mark on it. Time for deany boy to get serious and take on the wildflower comp here in October where the same togs take out the prizes every year.

08-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i have the Pentax 50mm f/2.8 which is much like yours and I like the shortness of the lens to get in tight and it isn't overly heavy, great for handhelds. I have learned a lot from EM's threads and comments, learning from the master is quite helpful.
08-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
These are great. Well done. I agree with Charlie, try a few with flash. I know my macros improved after I started using flash. Some of the first ones I did, I used the on camera flash with a folded sheet of printer paper for a diffuser.