Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Bivouacking in Great Falls, Montana
Posted By: Bob Harris, 08-09-2012, 07:32 PM

We were joined by a group of about 15 historic military vehicles that are on their way to Dawson Creek, British Colombia to join up and form a group of about 200 vehicles that are celebrating the construction of the Alaska Highway. The group called the Military Vehicle Preservation Association will travel the entire 4100 miles of highway in 27 days to commemorate the 70th anniversary of this engineering feat. The military was the backbone for the project with more than 7000 pieces of equipment used during the construction. It was a special treat for us campers to be able to view the equipment up close and converse with the members. Many of the vehicles have been converted to campers, large kitchens and other purpose haulers for the long trip.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 2,066
08-11-2012, 04:54 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
It is amazing how quickly those guys built that road too. Could never come close to that time frame today. Lots of the equipment used to build the highway was left up there too. Too expensive to bring back.
Oh you're right on that Susan, the government regulations, environmental reports and they would find some type of mouse or salamander that would cancel the project.

08-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Now that's neat, Bob. A whole new group of vehicles for we car guys to enjoy.

Jer
You're right there bud, anything with big wheels/tires is cool and then throw in one of these custom paint jobs and you have a real street rod to go cruising in.
08-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really like the trailer in the second picture. I wonder how decked out it is on the inside? I don't remember trailers from the army being white on the inside.
Thanks for sharing Bob.

Jim
08-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote
I really like the trailer in the second picture. I wonder how decked out it is on the inside? I don't remember trailers from the army being white on the inside.
Thanks for sharing Bob.

Jim
Jim, you can see another view on #6, it appears to be a full conversion with air conditioner, TV antenna, heater/vented and the other vent would indicate a refrigerator too. Not like the old Army days I would say. The large transporter would indicate they are bringing a lot of supplies with them for the group I would imagine.

08-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great post Bob, and thanks for sharing. Gotta tell you, I would hate like the dickens to ride to Alaska in that duece and a half. I've been in those a lot (and I was in the Navy!!), and they ain't very comfortable. However, it would be a hoot to make a trip like that.
08-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Great post Bob, and thanks for sharing. Gotta tell you, I would hate like the dickens to ride to Alaska in that deuce and a half. I've been in those a lot (and I was in the Navy!!), and they ain't very comfortable. However, it would be a hoot to make a trip like that.
Tom, glad you liked the thread here, this is really a special group. All the vehicles were in almost new condition, no rust or dirt to speak of, many with new tires that must cost a fortune and all had this great friendly attitude. After looking at some of the suspensions on the trucks, I will never complain about traveling in our motorhome.