Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Have Rain, Have K30
Lens: 18-130mm WR Kit Camera: K-30 Photo Location: San Antonio ISO: 3200 Shutter Speed: 1/750s Aperture: F3.5 
Posted By: Inexorable, 08-11-2012, 02:51 PM

It rained unexpectedly in our subdivision after nearly 45 days. A week back my Pentax K30 with its 18-130mm WR Kit had arrived.

Is it hard to guess what I did when the storm hit us? It's not spectacular photography...you could even call it cheap thrills. I don't care!

However, I would love some tips on capturing rain, rain drops et al.

PPed using Picassa! So you can guess I am an amateur!

Views: 1,504
08-11-2012, 09:16 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I like it, rain is pretty challenging and your request for tips stumped me so I found these to be pretty interesting

Jim Richardson on Taking Photos in the Rain -- National Geographic
35 Beautiful Examples Of Rain Photography | Smashing Magazine
How to shoot photos in the rain | The Discerning Photographer
08-13-2012, 06:33 AM   #3

Original Poster
deaning,

Thanks! Very useful links.

I thought of using the flash, but wasn't sure WR would still hold with it popped out, so opted for high shutter speed by cranking up the ISO, which is what I love most about the K-30. Sometimes, I wonder if its the camera's sensor, or its noise suppression algorithm that works wonders at high ISOs. Usually, noise suppression makes the photo plasticky, but you don't see that in the K-30.
08-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
deaning, thanks for the tips. I'm going to Iceland in two weeks so I'm sure I'll need them!

One thing I might have tried here just to see what it would look like would be to experiment with the focus at between 5-15 feet, so that drops in range are in focus but the houses are not, although still recognizable. Also I'd suggest opening the window to eliminate the drops on the window which you can't focus on, and then maybe lowering the camera to get less sky (or alternatively zooming a bit more on the two houses in the central part of the pic). Another thing to try would be a very slow shutter speed to see if you can pick up the motion of the drops. I've never tried any of this. It doesn't rain much here. :-)

08-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
One thing I might have tried here just to see what it would look like would be to experiment with the focus at between 5-15 feet, so that drops in range are in focus but the houses are not, although still recognizable. Also I'd suggest opening the window to eliminate the drops on the window which you can't focus on, and then maybe lowering the camera to get less sky (or alternatively zooming a bit more on the two houses in the central part of the pic). Another thing to try would be a very slow shutter speed to see if you can pick up the motion of the drops. I've never tried any of this. It doesn't rain much here. :-)
The 5-15 feet focus for sharp capture of the big drops is a great idea. The photo is taken from outside the house with the big drops falling down from the sloping roof, occasionally spluttering on the camera directly or as spray after crashing on the railing. (I did let the K-30 get wet, albeit cautiously, to test its WR).

From your other suggestion, I think what you are saying is the photo is trying to do too much. The subject of the photograph is not clear. The subject I had in mind was the heavy downpour and the resultant empty street. I included the big drops for drama, but perhaps they have become a distraction?

I thought of using low shutter speed but fixing the tripod would have taken me too long.

Anyway, I am glad I am learning, and now brimming with ideas for the next rain.

Thank you1