Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
Some Sad News....
Camera: Fuji X10 Photo Location: Texas ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F2.8 
Posted By: Rupert, 08-12-2012, 07:53 AM

Last night I sat on the deck and snapped a few of Tiny Bear Raccoon. He came alone last night, and while spending some time with him I discovered why he is the "renegade" among his siblings. Poor little fellow is near blind. He can apparently see shapes and such but otherwise can not determine distance or items up close. He bumps into things and appears lost at times, although he responds to my voice and can find his food by smell fairly easily.

Mrs Rupert was first to notice this, and bring it to my attention. And although she is not a Raccoon fan, she instructed me to make sure he always gets a good meal every night. I think she relates, she has had bad eyes all her life......heck, that's how I hooked her 46 years ago....she had no idea how damn ugly I was!

Anyhow, as long as he comes around here, he will be fed....and fed well......Sirloin patties for tonight little fellow!
Regards!

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]
Views: 1,008
08-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Poor fellow - nice to have you around for this.
08-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a sad story.At least he's being taken cared of.---charliezap
08-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

looks like you have another friend for life Rupert.

08-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
SJM
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Oh . that is sad..
08-12-2012, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
Well guys, it is sad, but as long as he is alive, he will have a good meal every night and plenty of fresh water. Not much more I can do...I called my Optometrist, and he said he doesn't take the "Raccoon Remedy Unlimited" insurance that Otis sold the little fellow. Otis did offer up a Squirrel for an eye transplant, but he was one that had been dead for six months and he still wanted $12. and a bag of roasted peanuts for the eyes....the Raccoon is just blind, not stupid!....he declined the offer.

Regards!
08-12-2012, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Call your local wildlife shelter or park rangers outfit and ask them if there is anything they can do. Blindness in racoons is often caused by a certain type of worm infection. It could be they could treat him and help him. He's not going to live very long out in the wild sans good eyesight. You'd be doing him a big favor if he ends up somewhere safer like at a preserve. Also it could be that all your raccoons in the area have them in which case they will want to see them medicated before they all get blind like that. They can drop meds in pellets for it like they do with rabies vaccine. This might be something that can be nipped in the bud.

08-12-2012, 11:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Good for you Rupert, and good suggestions magkelly.
08-13-2012, 07:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Take magkelly's advice Rupert. You may be able to feed the little fellow but you won't be able to protect him. He sure is a healthy looking guy.
08-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
Mag/Susan.....I am hoping it is a heredity problem and not the parasitic worms, which are incurable. Unfortunately, other animals are also subject to this common infection....as well as humans. Childhood nightmare spotlight: raccoon poop brain parasites | Science Buzz

Not something you want to hear, is it? However, I always fully cook my Raccoons and Raccoon feces, so I have little worry!

The whole world is a scary and dangerous place.....imagine a Raccoon writing an article about automobiles, and how many Raccoons die from them every year....and then telling you about the staggering number of people that also die from them.
I just feed hungry animals....I'll take my chances..I drive too.

Regards!
08-13-2012, 08:59 AM   #11

I'm glad you are able to take care this creature - I've always had a soft heart for raccoons.