Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Does This Make Me a Birder?
Posted By: Mike Cash, 01-29-2008, 04:25 AM

First halfway decent bird shot I've ever managed to take.

S-M-C Takumar 105/2.8

Views: 1,719
01-29-2008, 04:29 AM   #2
Inactive Account

very nice!
01-29-2008, 05:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Great framing too. Nice and clear. Better than mine at least
01-29-2008, 05:16 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shot Mike, but then again I enjoy most of your shots. Does it make you a Birder? I don't know. But I am refraining on making all kinds of "watch the birdie" jokes!

NaCl(my self restraint sometimes amazes even me!)H2O

01-29-2008, 05:26 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Very nice shot Mike. Birds make a great subject.
01-29-2008, 05:37 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Very good shot Mike. Like Salty says I enjoy all your shots even If I don't comment on all of them. Funny thing is, when I see the titles you post I figure they have nothing to do with the actual picture. I was expecting to see a shot of an airplane or some harbour shipping crane that looked like a bird shape. To my surprise, you posted a picture of a bird!

Nice colour and sharpness Btw. Even better since I expect this was taken with some old Tak you screwed on, with no meter coupling and AF.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 01-29-2008 at 06:01 AM.
01-29-2008, 05:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes - You have an isolated , sharp , great bokeh shot of a Bird - you may update your resume and bumper stickers That is a great shot and I agree with Peter - I enjoy your titles , trying to guess what it may be about and the stories behind most of your pictures. Keep 'em comming !

01-29-2008, 06:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sandbagged ya this time, didn't I?

I was at the empty container return lane of the Wan Hai Shipping Lines yard in Tokyo and the bird, as you can probably guess by the 105mm lens, was only about 6~8 feet away. One of the guys who works there brings bread crumbs to work and feeds the sparrows throughout the day. Consequently, he has quite a little flock of them and they don't spook easily. Or maybe they're just too stuffed with crumbs to fly away....
01-29-2008, 06:23 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does this make you a birder?

Not yet, Like LBA it is an addiction. It is the same with taking a fashon shot, sports shot, or landscape etc... Tahking one shot makes you a photo enthusiast.

In my view, a true birder is one who has studied all the books, can tell you every bird you see, including scientific name, habitat, season etc... and most importantly keeps a complete record of what he has seen, where and when, (in other words, a little obsessive)

Personally, I am about half way there. I have always liked to try and photograph birds because they make a great subject, and I keep a list of all the birds I have seen (over 270 species to date). What I don't know is the bird books by heart, so my approach to identifying them has now migrated to trying to get photos of them. If I can't get a photo of a bird which can be used for identification, I simply consider that I have not seen it.

I like the outdoors and hiking, and photography and the two make a natural fit. Also I don't hunt, but would argue with those who do, that it is much harder (usually) to photograph something than kill it.
01-29-2008, 06:38 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Guess I'm not a birder either. I only know 4 species by sight, pigeons, seagulls, crows and ducks.
Lol.
01-29-2008, 06:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Does this make you a birder?
Not yet, Like
Kill Joy I have the same repertoire as Peter with a magpie thrown in !
01-29-2008, 07:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You two remind me of the late and much lamented Minnie Pearl, who often said of herself, "I can sing in two keys. One of 'em is C and the other one ain't."
01-29-2008, 07:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Nice bird! I can never get close enough and I don't have glass long enough

I did get some shots once of trained birds that didn't fly away. An eagle, vulture and owl.