Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
F$*&! and Joshua Tree Pics
Posted By: gnaztee, 01-29-2008, 09:22 AM

First the F$*&! I gave my wife tickets to see Garth Brooks in LA for Xmas (10:00 Friday night, the second show out of five for the weekend...and reportedly the best), as he is her favorite singer, by far. Before we left, I checked the Staples Center policy on cameras; no interchangeable lenses, no zooms. My wife suggested our little Dimage G400 P&S. I looked around for the charger, as the months without use had left the battery dead. But ultimately gave up, knowing that the 4x zoom would not do us much good in our 300 level, nosebleed seats. When we entered the arena, after showing our tickets, a Garth Brooks "official" stopped us and asked where we were sitting. When we said the 300 level, he offered to trade us 5th row...5TH ROW! As I stood there, enjoying an incredible show, taking pictures on my crappy cell phone camera, I was kicking myself for not looking harder for that charger. F$*#!

Not a total photographic loss on the weekend, though. A short excursion to Joshua Tree National Park (Number 15, only 43 to go!) netted some decent pics. We'll have to go back for more though, had quit a bit of flat, gray weather. C+C is welcome!

Thanks for listening to the rant (and checking out the pics)!

Todd
Views: 2,077
01-29-2008, 09:29 AM   #2

fantastic shots, really amazing. You're farther than me on the countdown of national parks what lens(es) did you use for these?
01-29-2008, 09:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Too many to comment on but great shots. 6,7 and 8 are fav's and the reflections are also very good.
01-29-2008, 09:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by jmbower Quote
fantastic shots, really amazing. You're farther than me on the countdown of national parks what lens(es) did you use for these?
We have a National Park quest of sorts, as we were married in Yosemite in July of 2005. So, we've gone at a pretty good clip, 15 in 2.5 years. Arizona is a good base to work from, though, high concentration of parks in this part of the country.

All but number 4 were taken with the DA 16-45. #4 with the Tamron 28-75. It's a bit soft, which doesn't do the lens justice, but it was pretty dark and very windy. I find there is a bit too much overlap with these, although I love them both. I'd really like the DA 17-70 to match the 16-45's IQ, then get a FA43 or DA40 for low light.

Todd

01-29-2008, 09:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I kind of went overboard...

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Too many to comment on but great shots. 6,7 and 8 are fav's and the reflections are also very good.
Thanks for the comment anyway!

Todd
01-29-2008, 09:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow for most all the shots .. very nice. We were at a Garth Boorks concerts years ago and were witness to others like you that got pulled down to the prime seats , not so lucky ourselves. I am not a big country fan but I do like several of his songs and like you my wife owns everything he ever produced even the stuff as Chris Gains ......
01-29-2008, 10:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm more rock'n'roll

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Wow for most all the shots .. very nice. We were at a Garth Boorks concerts years ago and were witness to others like you that got pulled down to the prime seats , not so lucky ourselves. I am not a big country fan but I do like several of his songs and like you my wife owns everything he ever produced even the stuff as Chris Gains ......
Thanks for the compliment! Wow, Chris Gaines, she is a fan. I'm like you, not much of a country fan, but I've found that some country artists I've seen live crank the volume on the electric guitars a bit and have a more rock'n'roll sound in concert. Brooks put on one of the best, energetic, audience-connected shows I've seen, country or not. Course, it helps when you sit that close

Todd