Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Albertans Rejoice - It's Taber Corn Season
Lens: Sigma 105 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: daacon, 08-15-2012, 05:27 PM

Have been busy lately which is a good thing. For the next several weeks I am booked at least 4 and sometimes 6 nights a week. Good to be busy though and it's all good stuff. Anyway as most Albertan's know that August is when Taber corn is ready. This comes from a small town. The corn is only sold by certified vendors at farmers markets or roadside stands. It is so popular that some people make false signs or steal the real Taber corn signs to sell their own inferior corn.

Not sure what makes this corn so good , but good it is. Charlie it may not be Lobster but I'll tell ya what , throw in some Alberta lean ground beef to make homemade hamburgers and this is a summer treat for sure.

Views: 1,093
08-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Man that looks good, I've never bbq'd my corn with husk on, I 'm going to give it a try.
08-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Man that looks good, I've never bbq'd my corn with husk on, I 'm going to give it a try.
First time for me as well Bob it was delicious Soaked them in water for about an hour before hand (made sure they were submerged completely) 10 - 15 minutes on the BBQ turning occasionally I was impressed (if I do say so myself).
08-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

That's exactly how I grill my corn on the cob....and yes, it IS very good. I think it would pair nicely with a lobster and some red wine.... (naturally, in a red solo cup )

08-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Hi Dave.My wife saw this on you tube and it works fabulous.No muss-no fuss.Don't peel back the tassel ends and do it just like the video shows.It takes 4 minutes for one ear and my wife likes to turn it over after 2 minutes but it may not be necessary.After it cooks just cut off the thick end 1 or 2 inches back and shake the tassel end and a clean cooked ear falls out and it is perfect.I'm a believer.Try an ear and let me know how you like it.--charliezap
08-16-2012, 04:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Never heard of that corn Dave but would be willing to try it if you would care to share!!!!!!! I do, however, remember Alberta beef and you hit the nail on the head with the description of it. I am so hungry.
08-16-2012, 06:40 AM   #7

If i see it, i'm hungry.
Please send me one

08-17-2012, 06:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
That's exactly how I grill my corn on the cob....and yes, it IS very good. I think it would pair nicely with a lobster and some red wine.... (naturally, in a red solo cup )
Thanks forensicscientist - yes It would be I settled for Hamburgers and water still a tasty treat (but much prefer your menu)

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Hi Dave.My wife saw this on you tube and it works fabulous.No muss-no fuss.Don't peel back the tassel ends and do it just like the video shows.It takes 4 minutes for one ear and my wife likes to turn it over after 2 minutes but it may not be necessary.After it cooks just cut off the thick end 1 or 2 inches back and shake the tassel end and a clean cooked ear falls out and it is perfect.I'm a believer.Try an ear and let me know how you like it.--charliezap
Thanks Charlie - one of the girls on our Slo-Pitch team mentioned this as well. I did try the microwave method and yes indeed the husks come off as advertiesed this is a great method for a quick fix. I do prefer the taste on the BBQ (the peeling of the husks works just as well with that method). Thanks for the tip.

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Never heard of that corn Dave but would be willing to try it if you would care to share!!!!!!! I do, however, remember Alberta beef and you hit the nail on the head with the description of it. I am so hungry.
Thanks Susan no big secret I goggled it ha! I soaked the ears (make sure they are completley submerged) in water for about an hour, then on the BBQ for 10 or 15 minutes , turning them every so often.

QuoteOriginally posted by Symbio Quote
If i see it, i'm hungry.
Please send me one
Sorry Symbio long gone by now
08-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well you learn new things every day and I just learned about this corn.
08-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Well you learn new things every day and I just learned about this corn.
It's a treat up here EM for sure thanks for taking the time to comment.
08-21-2012, 05:41 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mouth watering menu dave.... we have a somewhat less known variety called 'silver queen',,, a real treat.... dave m