Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  #1
Albertans Rejoice - It's Taber Corn Season
Lens: Sigma 105 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: daacon, 08-15-2012, 05:27 PM

Have been busy lately which is a good thing. For the next several weeks I am booked at least 4 and sometimes 6 nights a week. Good to be busy though and it's all good stuff. Anyway as most Albertan's know that August is when Taber corn is ready. This comes from a small town. The corn is only sold by certified vendors at farmers markets or roadside stands. It is so popular that some people make false signs or steal the real Taber corn signs to sell their own inferior corn.

Not sure what makes this corn so good , but good it is. Charlie it may not be Lobster but I'll tell ya what , throw in some Alberta lean ground beef to make homemade hamburgers and this is a summer treat for sure.



Views: 894
08-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Bob Harris's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canon City, Colorado
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,477
Man that looks good, I've never bbq'd my corn with husk on, I 'm going to give it a try.
08-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
daacon's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alberta,Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,837
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Man that looks good, I've never bbq'd my corn with husk on, I 'm going to give it a try.
First time for me as well Bob it was delicious Soaked them in water for about an hour before hand (made sure they were submerged completely) 10 - 15 minutes on the BBQ turning occasionally I was impressed (if I do say so myself).
08-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
forensicscientist's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: DFW Texas and Michigan - I commute :)
Posts: 958
That's exactly how I grill my corn on the cob....and yes, it IS very good. I think it would pair nicely with a lobster and some red wine.... (naturally, in a red solo cup )

08-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
charliezap's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: saugus ma
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,378
Hi Dave.My wife saw this on you tube and it works fabulous.No muss-no fuss.Don't peel back the tassel ends and do it just like the video shows.It takes 4 minutes for one ear and my wife likes to turn it over after 2 minutes but it may not be necessary.After it cooks just cut off the thick end 1 or 2 inches back and shake the tassel end and a clean cooked ear falls out and it is perfect.I'm a believer.Try an ear and let me know how you like it.--charliezap
08-16-2012, 04:33 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
slowpez's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 18,077
Never heard of that corn Dave but would be willing to try it if you would care to share!!!!!!! I do, however, remember Alberta beef and you hit the nail on the head with the description of it. I am so hungry.
08-16-2012, 06:40 AM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bratislava
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 187
If i see it, i'm hungry.
Please send me one
08-17-2012, 06:08 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
daacon's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alberta,Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,837
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
That's exactly how I grill my corn on the cob....and yes, it IS very good. I think it would pair nicely with a lobster and some red wine.... (naturally, in a red solo cup )
Thanks forensicscientist - yes It would be I settled for Hamburgers and water still a tasty treat (but much prefer your menu)

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Hi Dave.My wife saw this on you tube and it works fabulous.No muss-no fuss.Don't peel back the tassel ends and do it just like the video shows.It takes 4 minutes for one ear and my wife likes to turn it over after 2 minutes but it may not be necessary.After it cooks just cut off the thick end 1 or 2 inches back and shake the tassel end and a clean cooked ear falls out and it is perfect.I'm a believer.Try an ear and let me know how you like it.--charliezap
Thanks Charlie - one of the girls on our Slo-Pitch team mentioned this as well. I did try the microwave method and yes indeed the husks come off as advertiesed this is a great method for a quick fix. I do prefer the taste on the BBQ (the peeling of the husks works just as well with that method). Thanks for the tip.

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Never heard of that corn Dave but would be willing to try it if you would care to share!!!!!!! I do, however, remember Alberta beef and you hit the nail on the head with the description of it. I am so hungry.
Thanks Susan no big secret I goggled it ha! I soaked the ears (make sure they are completley submerged) in water for about an hour, then on the BBQ for 10 or 15 minutes , turning them every so often.

QuoteOriginally posted by Symbio Quote
If i see it, i'm hungry.
Please send me one
Sorry Symbio long gone by now

08-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
eaglem's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 33,811
Well you learn new things every day and I just learned about this corn.
08-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
daacon's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alberta,Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,837
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Well you learn new things every day and I just learned about this corn.
It's a treat up here EM for sure thanks for taking the time to comment.
08-21-2012, 05:41 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
dcmsox2004's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: rhode island
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,499
mouth watering menu dave.... we have a somewhat less known variety called 'silver queen',,, a real treat.... dave m
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, corn, photo, signs, taber
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature King Size the Corn Please Rupert Post Your Photos! 7 02-16-2012 08:04 AM
Architecture Lighthouse on Fort Taber tim.anderson Post Your Photos! 4 08-21-2011 12:17 PM
Macro Corn snow Oso Post Your Photos! 3 05-05-2011 05:50 PM
Candy Corn Blues buster110 Monthly Photo Contests 6 04-08-2011 02:03 PM
K200D Noise Performance Chart - Pixel Peepers Rejoice! cputeq Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 06-01-2008 07:04 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:31 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top