Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
american painted lady... yes... this is work safe
Lens: elicar 55mm f2.8 macro 'a' Camera: k5 Photo Location: my backyard 
Posted By: dcmsox2004, 08-20-2012, 09:43 AM

gotta tell ya these are not static flutterbies..... reminded me of muhammed ali... bob and weave...
nervous little buggers... on my 10 foot high butterfly bush... most heavily cropped...

Views: 1,109
08-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dave, you did a great job of capturing the beauty of the butterflies. Love the detail right down to the antennae. They are quite common in the desert regions of the s/w and seem to never stay still for very long. I enjoyed the photos, thanks Bob
08-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
excellent capture and isolation of the subject (and beautiful bokeh). the images exude freshness...
08-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Your pictures blew me away for 2 reasons Dave.They are excellent for starters and just this morning I took a series of the same exact type of butterfly.They are the first ones that I have taken in years and I hope to post them later.It just goes to show that great minds do the same thing.--charliezap

08-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
amazing!!
08-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Great stuff here Dave. I know how difficult it is to get one half-way decent photo of one and here you have a whole series of them. I am soooooooo jealous.
08-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These are excellent shots for clarity and colour not to mention the great composition in each shot!

08-21-2012, 04:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Great series Dave,

Not only do they bob and weave I find the damn wind blows them all over the place. Tough at times to get sharp focus as you have done here.

Tom G
08-21-2012, 04:48 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Dave, you did a great job of capturing the beauty of the butterflies. Love the detail right down to the antennae. They are quite common in the desert regions of the s/w and seem to never stay still for very long. I enjoyed the photos, thanks Bob
thanks bob... thought these were moths at first.. thank goodness for the internet... thanks! dave m

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
excellent capture and isolation of the subject (and beautiful bokeh). the images exude freshness...
many thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Your pictures blew me away for 2 reasons Dave.They are excellent for starters and just this morning I took a series of the same exact type of butterfly.They are the first ones that I have taken in years and I hope to post them later.It just goes to show that great minds do the same thing.--charliezap
just saw your captures this morning charlie... these things dont sit still for long!!!! tough especially during cocktail hour dave m

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
amazing!!
thanks !

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Great stuff here Dave. I know how difficult it is to get one half-way decent photo of one and here you have a whole series of them. I am soooooooo jealous.
thanks very much sue.... quite the exhausting session chasing them around... not terribly dignified to see me runnin' round the butterfly bush dave m

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
These are excellent shots for clarity and colour not to mention the great composition in each shot!
thanks so much...appreciate it !!!

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Great series Dave,

Not only do they bob and weave I find the damn wind blows them all over the place. Tough at times to get sharp focus as you have done here.

Tom G
08-21-2012, 07:07 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Excellent shots Dave.
08-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

These are some wonderful shots of these creatures! They do move a lot and you managed to grab some great poses and wonderful view of those colors!
08-23-2012, 06:07 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Man-oh-man, these are sharp, clear and very well composed. My hat's off to you, Dave.

Jer
08-23-2012, 07:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Wow Dave you counter acted the float like a butterfly very well here. Great detail in these shots.