Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Californian Winters
Posted By: anthropas, 01-30-2008, 11:35 AM

Hi Everyone,

Despite all the rain we've been getting, we had a beautiful Saturday morning last weekend and I took the chance to get out and take a few shots at Huntington Gardens. Absolute minimal post-processing in Lightroom, just a little clarity and minor sharpening. I don't use a filter and this is the first time the sky has come through richly saturated for me. I am quite happy about that!

This little waterfall (2' maybe) was in the shade and allowed me to get a slow enough shutter speed to show the movement, but I had to use F22 to do it. I think it's reasonably sharp for F22, but I know a set of ND grads would probably have made it come out better.

All shots were taken with my only lens the FA 50 1.4 As always, C&C is welcome!

Anthropas
Views: 1,692
01-30-2008, 12:34 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Looks like good climate and definate good shots.
01-30-2008, 01:51 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Well done! Where is this? I get to Socal once and a while, might be fun to stop by
01-30-2008, 02:36 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi ccallana,

The Huntington Gardens are located on the south side of Pasadena, just off the 210 freeway. It is really a must-see for a photographer with a few hours to kill if you're in the area. It is the private estate of a former railroad tycoon from the early 1900's in California. The estate is over 150+ acres that is divided into various garden types from around the world. They have dessert, tropical, sub-tropical, australian, japanese, chinese, rose gardens ect. There is also an art Library where the famous "blue boy" painting and a real Guttenburg Bible are housed. Admission costs $15 for all day entry. You can Goggle it for more info, but I've been a member for two years and can spend a whole day there taking pictures and still feel rushed. I hope that helps!

Anthropas

Last edited by anthropas; 01-30-2008 at 03:02 PM.
01-30-2008, 04:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

sweet buds

those buds on the first couple shots make me wish for Spring!!! (as I stand in 4 ft of snow).. LOL

Nice shots.. thanks for sharin.. Kim
01-30-2008, 07:45 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by anthropas Quote
Hi ccallana,

The Huntington Gardens are located on the south side of Pasadena, just off the 210 freeway. It is really a must-see for a photographer with a few hours to kill if you're in the area. It is the private estate of a former railroad tycoon from the early 1900's in California. The estate is over 150+ acres that is divided into various garden types from around the world. They have dessert, tropical, sub-tropical, australian, japanese, chinese, rose gardens ect. There is also an art Library where the famous "blue boy" painting and a real Guttenburg Bible are housed. Admission costs $15 for all day entry. You can Goggle it for more info, but I've been a member for two years and can spend a whole day there taking pictures and still feel rushed. I hope that helps!

Anthropas

I went once for a couple hours of outside pix, then back the next weekend to see some interior galleries...
01-30-2008, 11:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, if this is yout winter, I'll move to California at once!
Nice shots!