Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Claude Monet's Japanese Foot Bridge
Lens: Tamron 24-135 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Giverny France ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/25s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Schraubstock, 08-26-2012, 03:12 AM

Hi

On one of my recent visits to France I decided to make a small detour on my way to Le Havre, to a place called "Giverny". This is the place where Claude Monet lived and painted a lot of pictures in his backyard of the Japanese Footbridge over the Lily Pond. I thought I might give it a go, not with easel and canvas but Camera. I toured the house where he lived and walked the gardens. I am not much of a flower man but I think all the flower shooters her would have been in heaven.

Nevertheless I came to shoot the bridge which proofed to be more difficult then I thought because of all the people milling about, but eventually I found a hole in the crowd and came up with this. It is nothing spectacular really but I felt quite privileged to have taken the photo probably from the same spot the great man painted it from.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 02-16-2013 at 01:50 AM.
Views: 1,363
08-26-2012, 06:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
His gardens sound beautiful. Thanks for this small glimpse of them.
08-26-2012, 06:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A very nice shot that has that painting quality look to it.--charliezap
08-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
His gardens sound beautiful. Thanks for this small glimpse of them.
Thanks, huge garden and the flowers were magnificent, lots of thrillseekers taking photos of them.

Greetings

08-26-2012, 07:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
A very nice shot that has that painting quality look to it.--charliezap
Thanks.

I guess one could apply some of those fan-dangled filters.

Why don't you grab this shot and put it through your "filter mill", you are good at this, lets see if you can give Claude a bit of competition.

Greetings

08-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I tried to back load your picture into the sd card in my K5 so that I could use the K5's filters.I dragged it in but it didn't show in the lcd viewer.So I went to plan B and used some filters in Picassa and Paint Shop Pro.I kind of liked the way it came out.I did learn a new trick today.--charliezap
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
08-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #7

I particularly love this picture as that exact bridge under those flowers is where I asked my wife to marry me. She was sitting up on the rail and I stood between her legs and produced the ring and she almost fell off the rail. It was at that point I realized I better put the ring on her finger on the left side of the bridge, because my hand were shaking so bad that I thought I was going to drop it in the lake. This was 17.349 years ago, 2 great kids, and all in all a pretty good life. I say all this with tears in my eyes just because the reminiscing is so nice.

OP thanks for the walk down memory lane.

08-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mi2nc Quote
I particularly love this picture as that exact bridge under those flowers is where I asked my wife to marry me. She was sitting up on the rail and I stood between her legs and produced the ring and she almost fell off the rail. It was at that point I realized I better put the ring on her finger on the left side of the bridge, because my hand were shaking so bad that I thought I was going to drop it in the lake. This was 17.349 years ago, 2 great kids, and all in all a pretty good life. I say all this with tears in my eyes just because the reminiscing is so nice.

OP thanks for the walk down memory lane.
Hi

Your reply is something I had not counted on and is totally unexpected. I am thrilled beyond words with your reply. I had no idea such a simple picture can give someone so much pleasure. If only old Claude could hear this I am sure he would have a smile on his face.

I bet you have a few photographs of this bridge (and surroundings) in your collection, if not PM me I may be able to get either a print or the full size file to you.

Best wishes to you and your wife.
08-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
Pentaxian

This is how your shot came out using several of the K5's filter effects in tandem.I took a picture of your picture from the computer with the K5 and changed it in camera.---charliezap
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
08-27-2012, 09:56 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
This is how your shot came out using several of the K5's filter effects in tandem.I took a picture of your picture from the computer with the K5 and changed it in camera.---charliezap
Hi

You really made an effort, almost looks like some psychedelic rendering of the surrealist art movement.

Photoshop has some usable filters which I quite like. (As per sample)

Thanks Charliezap