Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
F-22 Raptor Flight Demonstration (14 photos)
Lens: Takumar 200mm F3.5 Preset, Tair 3 300mm F4.5 Preset Camera: K-x, K20D Photo Location: Northern Colorado Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: Colorado CJ, 08-26-2012, 09:42 AM

I had a chance to watch an F-22 Raptor Flight Demonstration yesturday. This is the first time I've seen the F-22 in person, it is an AWESOME machine. From takeoff to landing I was breathless at the maneuverability of this aircraft. It hovered on its tail, did stationary flat spins and went from fast forward flight to nearly standing still in an instant. It looked like it defied the laws of physics. It was really something to see.

I took a few hundred photos of the flight, but narrowed it down to fourteen (I'm sure that's plenty for most people ). The only real problem was that they scheduled the flight demo for 3:30 p.m., and we were facing west, directly into the sun, so the photos aren't near as good/interesting as they could have been if the event was scheduled for earlier in the day.

I used two cameras and two lenses for photographing the flight, my Pentax K-x with the Tair 3 300mm F4.5 Preset in the photosniper mount, and my Pentax K20D with a Takumar 200mm F3.5 Preset. Both lenses were set to F5.6. The originals are at 1200 pix wide, so to see the full size, you'll probably have to visit my flickr page.

Hope you enjoy the photos.

Views: 1,791
08-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice series. I like the open bomb bay, and the Mustang pairs.
08-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Nice series. I like the open bomb bay, and the Mustang pairs.

Thanks, it was great watching the old and new fly together. The F-22 closed in FAST on the P-51 and instantly slowed down to match speed right off the P-51's wing, it was something to see.

One more I just finished pp'ing

08-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CJ, what a priviledge that must of been to view and photograph the craft. Great job on the photos, I bet it was a bit of a challenge fighting with the sun/light to get the images. Bob

08-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Awesome set - they did the same thing here back in May @ Andrews, and yes pretty awesome to see the old and the new.
08-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
CJ, what a priviledge that must of been to view and photograph the craft. Great job on the photos, I bet it was a bit of a challenge fighting with the sun/light to get the images. Bob
Thanks Bob, it was an awesome experience for sure (both sight and sound).

The sun was a little tricky and wreaked what could have been some good shots. Wish they took the sun (and us photographers) into account when they scheduled the flight. It would have been much better and the photos MUCH nicer if the sun was behind the flightline.
08-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
Thanks Bob, it was an awesome experience for sure (both sight and sound).

The sun was a little tricky and wreaked what could have been some good shots. Wish they took the sun (and us photographers) into account when they scheduled the flight. It would have been much better and the photos MUCH nicer if the sun was behind the flightline.
Funny thing CJ, when I first saw your photos, i thought these need sound to get the full impact. Great job. Bob
08-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Awesome.....I'd be very proud of those shots if I'd taken 'em.
Love the P51 too!
Thanks, Pickles.

08-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Great Shots!!! Looks like you had a Premium seat! I'm and aviation buff myself.
08-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Great photographs, I love the F-22... I heard somewhere about the F-22's design allowing it to do what an airplane normally wouldn't be able to do, defy gravity; ex: turning and maneuvering up and down at extremely low speeds to the point where it looks like it's not moving which almost ultimately stalls a regular airplane. No other air superiority fighter comes close to the F-22, it's almost frightening as this plane is superior in every way compared to it's competitions. It's sad that they discontinued the F-22 (Air superiority) and F-35 (Multi-purpose) due to it's several billion dollar costs to build a single one of them.

Last edited by LeDave; 08-27-2012 at 10:29 AM.
08-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Great photographs, I love the F-22... I heard somewhere about the F-22's design allowing it to do what an airplane normally wouldn't be able to do, defy gravity; ex: turning and maneuvering up and down at extremely low speeds to the point where it looks like it's not moving which almost ultimately stalls a regular airplane. No other air superiority fighter comes close to the F-22, it's almost frightening as this plane is superior in every way compared to it's competitions. It's sad that they discontinued the F-22 and F-35 due to it's several billion dollar costs to build a single one of them.

F22 RAPTOR DEFIES GRAVITY presented by Leo Mann and Turlock Undercover - YouTube
Thrust Vectoring is one of it's secrets. Both engine outlets have steerable nozzles.
08-27-2012, 04:02 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
It would have been much better and the photos MUCH nicer if the sun was behind the flightline.
True, and yet you got some shots you might have skipped in different lighting -- in #2, for example, the hazy background with some hills just peeking in the corner, and the backlit cockpit, give a very nice effect. Must have been fun, TFS.
08-27-2012, 05:24 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great pics! Hear from you in 5 years from Gitmo. Seriously though, these are outstanding, well done, the pilot waving is my choice of favourite.
08-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #14
Pentaxian

That Raptor is an impressive aircraft.

Nice captures.

Tom G
08-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, these are great pics - what a wonderful job, particularly given the conditions. I'm glad the plane looks impressive and I hope is impressive, given what the sucker cost.

Jer