Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
if only..
Lens: DA 18-135 WR Camera: K-5 Photo Location: front yard, sadly ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F5 
Posted By: jimr-pdx, 08-26-2012, 10:03 AM

I was awakened abruptly this morning and needed to do a few things around the house. Looking out the window I was presented with an amazing sunrise, so much so that I went out in sleepwear to get a better image. Alas, 'better' only meant more sky - power lines, the neighbor's yard and so many other things are in this image. But the sky speaks for itself! If only I could have been elsewhere, waiting for this sky to light up a better scene..

Views: 602
08-26-2012, 11:57 AM   #2

Hi jimr-pdx,

What I like about this, beyond the image itself, is your narrative. I've taken pictures like this myself sort of "on the spur of the moment"; and the significance of it, I think, is that it is a recognition of beauty that we want to capture and share.

You may see some things in this image that may make you wish you were elsewhere at the time the sunrise was happening, but I actually like it just as it is.
The first thing about it is the incredible color and dynamic range in the yellow-orange clouds and deep blue sky.
Then I am always intrigued with geometry, and I love the V shape and straight lines of the building against the amorphous clouds, and the shadow-to-highlight contrast of that in the right half of the image, against the fractal form of the trees on the left side, connected together by the straight lines of the electrical or phone wires.

Sometimes I find that I discover the true meaning and significance of an image after I've captured it; and that would probably be the case here, had I taken this image. And when that happens, it makes me realize that there is something else operating in the process than my own mind and ego. And that is actually a primary reason I do this.

So I think you should be very happy with this image with all of the various contrasts and linkages it contains, and how it frames the sunrise so beautifully.
08-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks John! I could crop and clone and make the image better, but it's true - just having any image at all this morning is memorable!
This one was shot in Reversal Film jpeg, but I clicked the save-raw button afterward; I sure like that feature.
08-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Thanks John! I could crop and clone and make the image better, but it's true - just having any image at all this morning is memorable!
This one was shot in Reversal Film jpeg, but I clicked the save-raw button afterward; I sure like that feature.
I always, always shoot in RAW, man. You cannot beat 12 bit depth in all three channels. I would suggest just leaving it set on RAW unless you are just playing around with composition issues and don't intend to keep the images.

As for your image, again, it is perfect as-is without any crop.

08-26-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It really is a gorgeous sky! We can't always pick our surroundings, but I'm glad you shot it...and we didn't miss that beautiful sky!
Regards!
08-27-2012, 05:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Anyone who gets up in the morning early enough to catch a sunrise deserves to have a great shot to remember it by and you have one. The sky is a lovely color.
« Gatorama | Wattle »