Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Someone will know the answer.
Camera: K5 Photo Location: Saugus Ma. 
Posted By: charliezap, 08-31-2012, 12:18 PM

One of my huge indoor Jade trees lately has microscopic flying gnats coming out of the soil.I put them in bigger pots 6 months ago and that is part of the problem because I added Miracle grow potting soil that wasn't 100% sanitized if at all.Pentaxians seem to know much about other entities besides photography so my question is short of transplanting what can I apply to get rid of the problem.Thanks-charliezap

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 677
08-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

My wife uses Schultz Insect Spray for exactly the same problem you have. We have dozens of house plants.
08-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like White Fly to me. NASTY things too.

Years ago I bought my mom a Geranium that unbeknownst to me was infested. Before she realized what they were and how to take care of them they had systematically killed nearly every plant in her house.
08-31-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WillH Quote
My wife uses Schultz Insect Spray for exactly the same problem you have. We have dozens of house plants.
I heard that an insecticide soap will work.What do you think?--charliezap

09-01-2012, 05:56 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote

Years ago I bought my mom a Geranium that unbeknownst to me was infested. Before she realized what they were and how to take care of them they had systematically killed nearly every plant in her house.
I hope that my Jade tree survives this. It's 3" at the base and has been in the window for many years.--charliezap
09-01-2012, 06:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nicotine and garlic spray, 1 clove of garlic, 1/2 cigarette in 250 ml water, alternative to tobacco is 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper. Strain either mixture and spray liberally.
09-01-2012, 06:30 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No idea my idea would work (flame thrower) but not sure the tree would survive - good luck !
09-01-2012, 06:38 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote

I hope that my Jade tree survives this. It's 3" at the base and has been in the window for many years.--charliezap

09-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deaning Quote
Nicotine and garlic spray, 1 clove of garlic, 1/2 cigarette in 250 ml water, alternative to tobacco is 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper. Strain either mixture and spray liberally.
If the bugs don't kill it it will most probably die of lung cancer from the nicotine . At the price of cigarettes, this may be an extremely expensive treatment.
09-01-2012, 07:55 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
I have read that cinnamon is suppose to work in killing the fungus the gnats feed of off.