Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

1600 photos from a 16 day Canoe Trip
Posted By: tessfully, 09-04-2012, 09:13 AM

We got back a few days ago from16 days in the wilderness, canoeing from lake to lake, camping on Islands, rocky points and sandy beaches. The weather was gorgeous, we saw very few people, and we took tons of photos. We are still getting our land-legs and filtering through images trying to put together a trip report. Between the two of us we took around 1600 photos !! I will restrain myself and only post 16 of my favourites --- no real theme, just a mish mash. Thank you for looking

Our campsite on Timberwolf Lake

View from our campsite on White Trout Lake

Old Stump on the back of our Island Campsite On Misty Lake

Loons and Mergansers in the early morning light

Moonshine

A solo paddle to the wetlands

Evening Sunset on Eagle Lake

Another Sunset on White Trout

A couple of abstract-type shots

Algonquin Rock

Sunset Reflection

Critters & Grasses

Old Dreamer

Views: 3,339
09-10-2012, 03:17 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful shots, Tess! It sounds like an amazing trip. Times to treasure and remember.

09-10-2012, 03:41 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Wow! I am so surprised this thread is still here. I am overwhelmed by so many nice comments

QuoteOriginally posted by fotogaffer Quote
Beautiful set of photos - thanks for sharing them.
Thanks for having a look fotogaffer! (great handle!!)

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
We just spent the day alone doing a few of the walking trails that are accessible from the main road. Your post made me go back to the images I shot that day - I have such wonderful memories. That whole vacation was awesome as we got to meet some of my wife's cousins whose father immigrated to Canada in the early fifties as many Dutch youngsters did after the war with Indonesia - they just couldn't root anymore in the traditionalist society of the country. Ironic that the Dutch-Canadian community today is one of the most traditionalist ones of Canada.
haha, our good friends are Dutch... very committed to family. I am so glad you told me about your trip to Algonquin Park and that you really enjoyed it... The park is what they call "multi-use" offering trails for hiking, backpacking, horseback riding and then of course canoeing and camping. It is over 7000 square km. of beautiful places inspiring wonderful memories. thanks for sharing some of yours!

QuoteOriginally posted by markl62 Quote
I can just image how many shots were taken and what great adventure. Love the Moonshine pic - looks like the right place at the right time
Thank you Mark! Yes, I was standing on the edge of the woods brushing my teeth looking at the lake and there was no way I could go to bed without trying a shot. It took many attempts and I was surprised one came out. I am happy you liked it!

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I'm also jealous!! What an opportunity to get to commune with nature in such a cool way! Your photos give us a good idea of the gorgeous sights you were able to see! What a collection and I can't wait to see more!
Thank you so much Lori. I do feel extremely privileged and full of thanks. Canoeing and portaging is no picnic, but the work is part of what brings you to the joy and beauty. I actually have a few more to post today. I am feeling guilty as I am finding it hard to spend a lot of time on the forum right now... but that will soon change. As always, I so appreciate your comments!

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Beautiful images Tess. Looks like you caught some really nice light. Cheers JIM
Hi Jim... yes, morning and evening shots are the best. I am making a couple of mid-day shots work just because I like the subject, but the same warmth is not there. Thank you for having a look and for the nice comment!

QuoteOriginally posted by EdwardConde Quote
Great job Tess... You will probably need 16 days to go through 1600 photos... That kind of trip sounds fun...Thanks for sharing..
You are very welcome Edward!! Thank you so much for having a look

QuoteOriginally posted by milesy Quote
love this series.........especially the second last one......just wonderful!!
Thanks Miles! The last one was taken around 7:30 a.m. just as the sun was coming up over the tree line. That kind of light makes the ordinary extraordinary

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
You know, Tess, I bet that the Algonquin Rock shot would look absolutely stunning as one of those metal prints... It has the colors and such a nicely captured texture of the stone, I think it'd be gorgeous...

Jim
That is a wonderful idea Jim. I have 3 I really like that would make a cool set. I am going to look into it.

QuoteOriginally posted by rwfarnell Quote
All of them are beautiful, must of been a great trip.
It was one of the best canoe trips I've been on... thank you for having a look and for the nice comment

QuoteOriginally posted by rhe Quote
+1 We have been thinking about going on a brief driving trip this fall and you have certainly brought Algonquin Park to the top of our list!

Thanks for sharing your awesome captures.
You are very welcome! Algonquin Park's website has a page dedicated to the changing colours so people can visit around peek time. With the draught this year many of the maples are already changing. Take a route up through Haliburton and Dorset, on to the park and then you could travel back down through Bancroft, bypass Peterborough back to the 401. Out of this world gorgeous hardwood forests and incredible landscapes in that triangle. Feel free to drop in to say hi if you are in the area!
09-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #33
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

O.K. I now officially hate you and your darned trees, sunsets and other gorgeous work. And your dog, who no doubt put you up to it. You can tell by the body language.
09-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The processing really brings out the best in the last duck picture. Beautiful blue color backed up with a dreamy green background. It looks like the kind of trip that breaks the pace of everyday live down to a slower and gentler way of living. I bet there was at least one day you forgot what day it was.

09-11-2012, 04:30 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
O.K. I now officially hate you and your darned trees, sunsets and other gorgeous work. And your dog, who no doubt put you up to it. You can tell by the body language.
The dog made me do it! He is such a good old dog. Thanks for the having a look and commenting jac! I really appreciate it

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
The processing really brings out the best in the last duck picture. Beautiful blue color backed up with a dreamy green background. It looks like the kind of trip that breaks the pace of everyday live down to a slower and gentler way of living. I bet there was at least one day you forgot what day it was.
We never knew what day it was... funny you should say that. It was a great trip. I've been tripping for 25 years and have had many wonderful trips, but getting older has slowed me down and I enjoy the journey even more now. Thanks for the nice comments Fries! I really love that shot of the mergansers as well.... I wish I could get a photo that shows each little feather detail, but need a better lens. I used the Sigma 70 - 300 macro, which is an older lens. It is great closer up on large animals like moose, but by 200 on small subjects the detail is compromised, so the water and reflections are a major part of that photo. thanks again!
09-11-2012, 04:33 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

absolutely beautiful captures ..... gorgeous country there, your captures are the next best thing to being there...
thanks for sharing ! dave m

Last edited by dcmsox2004; 09-11-2012 at 04:35 AM. Reason: error
09-15-2012, 06:05 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
absolutely beautiful captures ..... gorgeous country there, your captures are the next best thing to being there...
thanks for sharing ! dave m

Thank you so much for having a look and for the great comments Dave!

09-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey Tess--Beautiful series! I love the depth and clarity in your shots. The are all so lovingly composed and perfectly executed. Some of my favs were the mergansers gliding uniformly across the lake, view from campsite at White Trout Lake, and sunset reflection.

It is a wonderful thing to have the time to take such a trip and to indulge so deeply in photography. Thanks for sharing these lovely images.

Marcus
09-17-2012, 03:38 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What a wonderful set of images, Tess. Very enjoyable viewing. You made me feel like I was there and I thank you for that. 16 down, 1584 to go.
09-17-2012, 05:49 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Kauffman Quote
Hey Tess--Beautiful series! I love the depth and clarity in your shots. The are all so lovingly composed and perfectly executed. Some of my favs were the mergansers gliding uniformly across the lake, view from campsite at White Trout Lake, and sunset reflection.

It is a wonderful thing to have the time to take such a trip and to indulge so deeply in photography. Thanks for sharing these lovely images.

Marcus
Marcus, thank you for such a warm response to my shots. I am moved deeply by your kind words.

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
What a wonderful set of images, Tess. Very enjoyable viewing. You made me feel like I was there and I thank you for that. 16 down, 1584 to go.
Thank you Ray. It was a special trip. I think some of that specialness must shown up in these photos. I appreciate your comments very much.