Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Perfecting high-key for a big shoot...
Posted By: codiac2600, 01-31-2008, 04:58 PM

I have a big shoot in which I've designed from the ground up. I've hired a professional model, an MUA (make-up artist), and hired on an assistant to over look style and help hold reflectors.

I had trouble with spill and control with my high-key style shoots so today I sat down and tweaked my lighting for two hours and finally have it situated and documented. Here are the results and I need tons of input to make sure the lighting looks good and under control. I notcied much fewer blown highlights and less color bleed which is a great start.

All shot with Pentax K10D, ISO 100, 1/125 shutter, f6.5-7.1 and the lenses were either the FA50mm 1.4 and the DA* 16-50mm 2.8.

First test shot DA* 16-50mm

Second test to see if the light will work lower and it does

Stretching the light forward and back to see how the light folows.

Huggies

Playing with the 50mm 1.4

Layin down...

All of these shots are RAW converted straight to JPEG then uploaded. No photoshop, no sharpening added. I think the way the light is working for these I should be good to go for the real thing. Now I need to perfect my second lighting guide for the shoot.
Views: 1,297
01-31-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi Chris, a nice selection of photos there. I like the shot of huggies the best as it appeals to me the most.

The faces in general do appear a little dark with eye shadows. Maybe some fill light or a diffuse light box would reduce that. (I have already given up on high key - I kept on overexposing the sides of the faces...)

I am sure davemsn or benjikan would have a lot of advices to share. (Hope they would shed some wisdome here)
01-31-2008, 06:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
All of them are very nice photos Chris, I can't give you any advise on portrait photography, haven't done any in more years than I'm willing to admit but, for straight out of camera they are exellent. I believe that with a minimum of tweaking you'll have what you are looking for.

Take care, Heinrich