Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Connections
Lens: Pentax DA 35 limited Camera: K7 Photo Location: Canberra, Australia 
Posted By: RobG, 09-05-2012, 06:02 AM

Views: 783
09-05-2012, 07:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Well thought out composition there, works very well.
09-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I fell giddy just looking at this picture!
09-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool shot here Rob, reminds me of the old days. I don't think I could climb them anymore.

09-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interesting perspective of a common object.
09-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snappychappy Quote
Well thought out composition there, works very well.
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
I fell giddy just looking at this picture!
Maybe think of it going horizontally instead of vertically? Except then it would be like walking the plank... maybe not!

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Cool shot here Rob, reminds me of the old days. I don't think I could climb them anymore.
My hat off to you Bob, if you used to do electrical line work! I get worried enough with 240 volts, let alone the higher voltages in the distribution lines!

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Interesting perspective of a common object.
Thanks! I've been looking at ways to see what the DA 35 f2.8 limited produces in different circumstances. The bokeh at the bottom of this image is intriguing.
09-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rob, you probably wouldn't of liked the 500,000 volt lines, a fluorescent bulb will light up from induction even though you are 50 foot away.

09-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Rob, you probably wouldn't of liked the 500,000 volt lines, a fluorescent bulb will light up from induction even though you are 50 foot away.
Nah, pass on that! You remind me of a book I read about Nikola Tesla, who had an induction coil on the floor (I think) of his laboratory, and had lamps around the walls which were lit without wires. He did a lot of experiments with high frequency AC which don't seem to have been replicated since. Actually, I didn't know voltages that high were in use - I think the highest voltage transmission lines I've seen here are 60,000 volts. I also read that during some of Tesla's experiments in Colorado, horses miles away were electrocuted through their steel shoes!
09-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ironically, you could have called this one "Goldmine", which refers to the exorbitant cost of electricity here now, thanks in large part to those politicians in Canberra where you took this shot.

Regards
09-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RobG,

FYI, I think the supply into Canberra had been 132kV but upgraded in the last year or so to 330kV.
09-06-2012, 02:24 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
FYI, I think the supply into Canberra had been 132kV but upgraded in the last year or so to 330kV.
Which one? I wonder if the US distribution voltages are higher than ours? The household supply is usually 120V @ 60Hz in the USA I think, while here it's 240V @ 50Hz, so I wonder whether the distribution voltages and currents are different.
09-06-2012, 06:27 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you can get a pretty wide variety of voltages on the big transmission lines to suit the amount of power the utilities need to pump through and the length of the lines, and can even use DC transmission sometimes rather than AC (I think there is a new feeder running down the Hudson River into Manhattan that is DC with AC/DC converters at each end). Higher voltages equals a lot less power lost in heat radiated due to resistance in the cables. A lot of the smaller feeder between Australian towns I think are 132kV these days. You can appreciate why some of these bigger lines really crackle in drizzly/foggy weather! According to Wikipedia, the world's highest voltage transmission line is 1.15 MV (ie 1150kV) in Kazakhstan. Won't want to be too close to that if it flashed over!

The link below should take you to to a TransGrid pdf on works around the Canberra area. I don't know Canberra well, so I'll l;et you work out the areas they are talking about.

http://www.transgrid.com.au/projects/projects/ACTSupply/Documents/100505%20-...%20-%20Web.pdf
09-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think you can get a pretty wide variety of voltages on the big transmission lines to suit the amount of power the utilities need to pump through and the length of the lines, and can even use DC transmission sometimes rather than AC (I think there is a new feeder running down the Hudson River into Manhattan that is DC with AC/DC converters at each end). Higher voltages equals a lot less power lost in heat radiated due to resistance in the cables. A lot of the smaller feeder between Australian towns I think are 132kV these days. You can appreciate why some of these bigger lines really crackle in drizzly/foggy weather! According to Wikipedia, the world's highest voltage transmission line is 1.15 MV (ie 1150kV) in Kazakhstan. Won't want to be too close to that if it flashed over!
Thanks for the link! I understand the use of high voltages to minimise loss - I think Tesla wanted to use very high frequencies as well, but frequency conversion is a bit of a pain. Interesting that DC would be used, since Edison originally supplied DC into Manhattan, but it was poor for transmission over long distances. It's sad that Tesla gets so little recognition for the work he did inventing the AC generation and transmission system. I certainly wouldn't want to be anywhere near that megavolt line either!

Having said that - high voltages aren't the killer so much as high voltage compbined with high current. Static electricity off a car zaps you with a high voltage, but a very low current.