Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Thunderstorm
Lens: 18-55 Camera: K-30 Photo Location: Christchurch, NZ 
Posted By: FruitLooPs, 09-05-2012, 03:27 PM

The first real "storm" (we don't get weather extremes really here) I've witnessed here in Christchurch since I was a child, I recall looking out the window with my brother as a child counting the seconds between the lightning and thunder to find out the distance with water streaking down the glass.

This was over in 45mins or so, did cause a small power outage but nothing serious It even made the national news, such is the rarity for these parts hehe.

Boiling Skies by Dafydd359

The Heavens Open by Dafydd359

Thunderstorming by Dafydd359

The final shot was a long exposure on tripod the other two just anticipated while set on aps.c

Cheers
Views: 1,193
09-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well captured shots.
09-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice. Well done on the first two. It isn't easy anticipating.
09-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Love the lightning storms, great job of capturing them, very pretty shots.

09-06-2012, 06:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Can't believe you caught the first two with that method. Well done. Must have been a heck of a storm.
09-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice captures, specially the ones that you anticipated.
04-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FruitLooPs Quote
The first real "storm" (we don't get weather extremes really here) I've witnessed here in Christchurch since I was a child, I recall looking out the window with my brother as a child counting the seconds between the lightning and thunder to find out the distance with water streaking down the glass.

This was over in 45mins or so, did cause a small power outage but nothing serious It even made the national news, such is the rarity for these parts hehe.

The final shot was a long exposure on tripod the other two just anticipated while set on aps.c

Cheers
Awesome shots!
Here are my first attempts. I've used the color pick filter just to play a little with the image!

Attached Images

04-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
These images are good enough to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up with the static, well done.
05-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #9

sbruzzone, great photos, what lens did you use for those? Also, what were your camera exposure settings?

I want to try and take some like these when the summer storms begin to roll around here in Texas.
05-13-2013, 08:08 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jp_recon Quote
sbruzzone, great photos, what lens did you use for those? Also, what were your camera exposure settings?

I want to try and take some like these when the summer storms begin to roll around here in Texas.
Hi, thank you!
I'm not sure now, I think I've used manual mode, ISO 100, F/2.8 and shutter speed between 5 and 10sec and I was
taking pictures continuously. (pressing the button after every shot.)
The lens was a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and it was used wide open most of the time. I was placing the camera
in the balcony...not very comfortable with that, but I have a tripod now!
Some shots were 'burnt' since some lightnings were quite brilliant!
Since London ON, is the lightning capital of Canada...I think I'll have some fun this summer too!
I hope to see some of your shots soon
05-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Very dramatic shots well captured.--charliezap
05-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I'm amazed. You don't know how difficult it is to photograph lightning until you've tried. I think I've gotten two or three decent ones in my whole life. It's always too late, too soon, overexposed, wrong direction, or a dozen other things that go wrong.

Kudos to you for taking full advantage of such a rare event!
05-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #13

Very impressive indeed! I like the first one the most I think, but overall the photos bring that special feeling. (run for cover)
05-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by FruitLooPs Quote

Cheers
Good work on a hard to capture subject.