Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
Mount Rushmore
Lens: 50-200mm, 2X TC Camera: Kx Photo Location: South Dakota 
Posted By: Bob Harris, 09-06-2012, 08:15 PM

From our travels we again visited Rushmore and vicinity during the summer and wanted to share these up close photos. Not all have seen the side view of Washington, it can be viewed if you take the Needles Highway right outside of the park. This is a wonderful area to vacation and if you can, spend at least a week to explore Custer SP, Deadwood, Spearfish, Needles Highway and the Black Hills as a starter.

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo     
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 

Views: 2,727
09-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Agreed, it's a great place to see. These pictures are a good reminder of my time there. My favorite shot is the zoomed out Washington profile. I took the exact same shot but had gray skies.
Are you ever going home? :-)
09-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Cool shots Bob ! I like the next to last best because the eye has an almost lifelike quality to it.
09-06-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So where's your sculptured profile Bob as one of America's great travelers??????????????

09-07-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice series Bob. I agree about the Needles Highway. Great drive. We spent a lot of time at one of the narrow openings watching tour buses drive through. So many of them scraped the sides of the buses. Rushmore is indeed an interesting place. The second time we were there it was so fogged in you couldn't see a thing.
09-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Agreed, it's a great place to see. These pictures are a good reminder of my time there. My favorite shot is the zoomed out Washington profile. I took the exact same shot but had gray skies.
Are you ever going home? :-)
A lot of people miss that shot, we did have nice weather. Home is where we park the motorhome.
09-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Cool shots Bob ! I like the next to last best because the eye has an almost lifelike quality to it.
That's what I thought Kevin about the eyes on all, they are carved and polished to perfection.

09-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

These are all beautiful, Bob! I had never seen that view of Washington. Fantastic. This is a place I really want to see some day. I will try to remember about the Needles highway.

That last picture is almost surreal. I try to imagine some alien landing in those woods and looking over in that direction and seeing that!!
09-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Nice shots. I enjoyed my time there on vacation. Massive rain squall on the Needles Hwy, after going through the Needle. I'm assuming you did not try to get the USS Enterprise through that tiny crack in the rocks.
09-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
So where's your sculptured profile Bob as one of America's great travelers??????????????
Too funny EM, it would probably be on the south end of Lincoln with an unassessable view.
09-07-2012, 09:38 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Nice series Bob. I agree about the Needles Highway. Great drive. We spent a lot of time at one of the narrow openings watching tour buses drive through. So many of them scraped the sides of the buses. Rushmore is indeed an interesting place. The second time we were there it was so fogged in you couldn't see a thing.
sounds like our first two visits to the Tetons, nothing but fog and low clouds. At least we had good weather this time. Thanks Susan.
09-08-2012, 06:46 AM   #12
Pentaxian

A grand series Bob. Every time I see shots like these it reminds me of so many SciFi movies where the aliens or natural disasters take down the faces. "It's only a movie"--charliezap
09-08-2012, 06:57 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Nice series ... Have visit it someday!
09-08-2012, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
These are all beautiful, Bob! I had never seen that view of Washington. Fantastic. This is a place I really want to see some day. I will try to remember about the Needles highway.

That last picture is almost surreal. I try to imagine some alien landing in those woods and looking over in that direction and seeing that!!
thanks so much for viewing and your kind words Lori, there are several tunnels there and when you exit them you have a view of the monument, it was purposely designed that way. When you are ready to visit, let me know and I will give you a list of "must sees" while there in the area.
09-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Nice shots. I enjoyed my time there on vacation. Massive rain squall on the Needles Hwy, after going through the Needle. I'm assuming you did not try to get the USS Enterprise through that tiny crack in the rocks.
No way on that one Kyle, I have problems sometimes just getting around inside campgrounds. We always stay away from crowded areas and just take the Jeep to explore. I have learned from my mistakes over the years.