Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Finally!
Posted By: Tom Lusk, 01-01-2007, 11:28 AM

Finally managed a few shots of not-nuthatches.

A female junco, puffed up against a cold wind:

and a Nuthatch in "sparring mode". They assume this posture when confronting another Nuthatch. I've seen them do it often, but this is the first shot I've managed to get of this behaviour. My goal is to get two birds facing off against each other. Wish me luck- it's virtually impossible.

All comments welcome as to how to improve these shots. Hopefully there will be some new species passing through this area, but with the mild weather we've been having, I guess there are no guarantees.
Views: 2,177
01-01-2007, 12:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Tom that pic of the nuthatch in sparring mode is awesome. great capture
01-01-2007, 12:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tom I agree that I like the Nuthatch better, the colors and the comp work for me. Number one needs some work. I think it has more to due with the weather more then anything, but it looks a little flat (I guess would be the right word) maybe punch up the contrast a little may help it. Just my .02
01-01-2007, 01:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Tom, I posted under Pentax DSLR Discussion. Am having trouble with focus and not getting anywhere near the quality of bird shots you have here, or even tree shots for that matter. Would you be so kind as to take a look and offer some advice. Thanks.

Nice captures, by the way, as always.

01-01-2007, 01:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Any better on the Junco?

Thanks for the input. I think this is better, but still needs- something. The BG kind of washes out. Needs more work...

01-01-2007, 01:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I like that alot more. WOW.. I feal like I actually contributed something worthy today.
01-01-2007, 02:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Nice shots! I know it's hard to get great shots like this. I do like the second round of PP on the second picture best. What equipment did you use to take the shots?

01-01-2007, 06:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Wow, that's a huge improvement over the first one. I would try adjusting the levels of the background separately from the bird. Other than that, I think you've done a fine job! Keep it up!
01-01-2007, 06:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

yep..the PPed first bird shot is tonnes better.

the detail and texture on the feathers show up a lot more...
01-01-2007, 07:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks

for the input, again.

The shots were both taken with my 100D with FA*300 and Tamron 1.4TC.

Both were shot at f4.5 @ 1/350th, ISO 200.

I'll work on the BG separately, as suggested...
01-01-2007, 09:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Hi Tom. I had been busy, missed your bird shots!

Tamron does soften images of F*300 f4.5 usually around the eyes regardless how accurate the AF is. Joele did a lot of experiments on the F*300 with tamron 1.4X; the conclusion is that it will be always tad soft around the eyes regardless of the aperture used. Selective sharpening around the eyes might have been of some help.

The post processing of the first bird shot is a colour total make-over. Junco (from my reading) can be considered uncommon in Australia. Sure this is a good capture! That tough weather was obvious from your first post and I kind of like both pre and post processing photos to be present to show the "difficulty" of getting these birds within the frame!

Somehow I prefer junco unprocessed as it is obvious that the post processing has a bit too contrasty and there is touch up work. The first shot really reveals the hard work you had put in by getting that shot altogether.

Unless you wanna sell the photographs on line, I prefer the first one.

Nuthatch shot is always great from your past continuous shots. I always wished I could be in Canada getting an image library on my own for blue jays and nuthatches. hehe

p.s. I know you have been hunting down Fa* 400mm f5.6 for some time too. I am in the same boat as well. I do wish Andrew Faith giving up his Fa* 400...
01-02-2007, 08:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Very nice shots Tom. I'm torn on the Junco shot though. I think something between the processed and unprocessed one would be ideal. Maybe a bit of a boost in contrast but keep the 'darker' look ?

The nuthatch is excellent. I wish you luck getting both in the frame as I'd love to see it!
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
p.s. I know you have been hunting down Fa* 400mm f5.6 for some time too. I am in the same boat as well. I do wish Andrew Faith giving up his Fa* 400...
The way I got mine was by emailing Pentax Canada to confirm they had stock and then ordering the lens over the phone through McBains. Because the 400 was never popular, there may be one or two kicking around? (maybe???).
01-02-2007, 10:36 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Absolutely beautiful pictures. I see you've got a little snow as well!
01-02-2007, 11:21 AM   #14

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
yep..the PPed first bird shot is tonnes better.

the detail and texture on the feathers show up a lot more...
I disagree. The PPed puffy bird has no feeling of the coldness that the bird is supposed to be "puffed up" against.