Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
Finding out what's on old pictures
Posted By: sindbad1, 09-10-2012, 11:17 PM

In recent years I have adopted various photo estates. When I had the time, I 've digitized them. More than 10 years ago, I assumed that such images would represent a monetary value. 'Thanks' to the many free image sources for historical imagery this is not the case anymore for most of the pictures.
That should not be a reason to dispose of old estates over the bin. Only the cost of exploring and identifying the contents of images is not possible within the framework of a hobby which is not fully self-financing.
I try something. Images from such convolutes I set as slideshows on YouTube and hope that viewers can identify something. Corresponding notes can be made as comments. This is relatively simple: "At 1.05 minutes - Alhambra in Granada" The images are often together as a series. It could be that someone finds the pictures of .... to ... were made at a certain place.

What information do we need? When and where the pictures were taken. What's to see on them. Which countries and perhaps even the villages or items. Maybe someone recognizes people.
I am curious if this call has a positive effect. If so, I create more stuff and put it on YoutTube.
Who knows, maybe we hereby establish a new movement of findig out, whats in old photostocks from private photorgaphers. One day the museums might copy this method.

1. The first series of photos are from a photographer who has taken them in the 1950's to 1970's on 6 × 6 (120mm) roll film slides. The pictures are well done, I think. It would be good to add a good caption.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCoIc0I9WME

2. The second series shows old images from South America. Around 1938 ... color and black and white. The color pictures are made on Dufay Color, which was an early 35mm Film for color slides. I think that these color pictures belong to the earliest color-photos of those South American States.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6FqCi2i0MM

Last but not least. Can somebody help me to translate some German articles from German to English? In Germany we describe the process of finding out what is to be seen on pictures and writing the caption as 'Erschließen eines Archivs'. Google translate gives me this as a translation: ' Open an archive' I don't believe that this means what I want to say.

If you like this idea, please share it wherever you are on facebook or else.

Tom

Last edited by sindbad1; 09-10-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Views: 904
09-11-2012, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Who knows, maybe we hereby establish a new movement of findig out, whats in old photostocks from private photorgaphers. One day the museums might copy this method.
Wow, there are some great images here, what a brilliant idea.
12-25-2012, 01:14 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Unfortunately, the reaction is like zero. Maybe someone has a good suggestion on how to get it working. People with a facebook account can post the link of the video or this thread to the action to help.

Thank you

Tom

Last edited by sindbad1; 12-25-2012 at 01:22 AM.
12-25-2012, 03:11 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,
color photo shot at the end of 60-th years (my wife's score, by clothing ladies and young ladies) underneath the old bridge in Mostar (Bosnia & Herzegovina). The bridge was built in the 16-th century (the Ottoman Empire); destroyed in 1993, during the war (1991-1995); restored with UNESCO help 2004 (the same technology and materials as well as in the 16-th century).
Tom, I hope that I have helped you at least a little in your work?
greeting

12-25-2012, 03:27 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you! I could identify a lot of pictures from the first set of photographs with the help from others.

But nobody is saying anything about the older pictures from south america. I know that a lot of germans went to south america during the time of the nazis and after WW II. There were some political reasons for this. Either they were jews and left germany in the 1930'th in response to the anti-jew-actions of the nazis or later, after the war, they didn't want to stand in a court for their actions until 1945. The people that come up repeatedly, apparently they seem to be the family (wife) fom the photographer, could also come from Spain. I would really like to know the story behind those pictures. There can not be many color photos on the old Dufay Color film of the time in Argentina.

Tom