Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Deaths Door
Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Door County, WI 
Posted By: MRHPhoto, 09-12-2012, 09:02 AM

Here are a few shots from my 4 day trip to Door County, WI. Took over 1,000 shots so I've really tried to narrow it down a bit.
And whoever said the Tamron 10-24 was a perfect vacation lens was right, it was my workhorse.

1:

Views: 1,741
09-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

09-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #3

Original Poster

Last edited by MRHPhoto; 09-12-2012 at 09:30 AM.
09-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #4

Nice series! I'm from Door County....nice to see a little of home.

Treetop

09-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #5

Original Poster

Hopefully you guys like some of them Door County is really a beautiful place especially at the end of summer/beginning of fall.

Last edited by MRHPhoto; 09-12-2012 at 09:32 AM.
09-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hope santa brings me one this year : )....
fine captures.... stunning location.... dave m
09-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Beautiful series(es).... You do a great job on sunrise/sunset skies, and you caught that relaxing feeling of being on a coastline...

Jim

09-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Enjoyed the series. Thanks for sharing them.
09-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Wow, absolutely amazing! Wonderful light in so many of these shots. Gorgeous work!
09-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks everybody, I meant to reply earlier but was at work and I'm not wholly liking how PF works on my iphone haha.

QuoteOriginally posted by treetop flyer Quote
Nice series! I'm from Door County....nice to see a little of home. Treetop
What part are you from? I mostly stayed in just north east of Sturgeon Bay on Glidden Road (Hwy T) walking along the beach. The Sunsets were from the quarry park in Sturgeon (the cloudy colorful ones) and overlooking Egg Harbor around the corner from Shipwrecke'd. We normally stay in Sister Bay (love that place) since my Aunt had a house out on Beach Rd. She used to work at Al Johnson's (I guess she works for a wine wholesaler now) and when we were younger we'd go on the runs in the morning when they pick up the goats for the roof lol, It's sad that Al died last year, he was really nice

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
hope santa brings me one this year : ).... fine captures.... stunning location.... dave m

I picked mine up after a Tamron Demo day, so I had the regular $50 mail in rebate and an additional $25 for participating in the demo. You should check out if there are any in your area some time? I got it for $425 after that instead of $500

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Beautiful series(es).... You do a great job on sunrise/sunset skies, and you caught that relaxing feeling of being on a coastline... Jim
Thanks! The sunrises were a pain because there was hardly any color due to cloud banks off the coast, but once that sun popped up over them, everything looked amazing (...well except for the whole going blind looking into your lens part lol). The first sunset was surprisingly difficult. Storms were just randomly popping up everywhere (Darn you lake michigan!) and despite being clear overhead, rain was spraying into me along with spray off the waves due to the 15mph winds. I was so worried about getting water on the lens because the Tamron is the only non WR lens I have, but I'm thinking of submitting a few to PPG to maybe get another one added to the measly 2 I have up :/

Thanks again for the comments, I really appreciate them. When I put this stuff up on facebook no one really says anything so I just assume they think they are boring : /

Last edited by MRHPhoto; 09-12-2012 at 08:32 PM.
09-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Nice work. Thanks for sharing. The direct opposite of boring. Your facebook friends don't comment because they are jealous of your mad skills and awesome Pentax colors.

A question: Why did you pick the Tamron over the Sigma?
09-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
A question: Why did you pick the Tamron over the Sigma?

To be honest, price. I haven't tried the pentax or sigma versions. For me I nearly threw up dropping $425 on a lens that I really didn't feel I had a need for and bought on a whim, but I feel a lot of my best work has been with that thing. It may not be the sharpest and has blah CA toward the edges at 10mm but usually I can fix it in lightroom or it's silhouetted objects against a setting sun so nothing is too obvious. Also a dumber reason is filters. The Sigma doesn't accept screw in filters and I REALLY want to get a nice high quality InfraRed filter from Heliopan or B+W for it so I can go have some fun doing superwide IR landscapes with it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Nice work. Thanks for sharing. The direct opposite of boring. Your facebook friends don't comment because they are jealous of your mad skills and awesome Pentax colors.
I truly don't find myself being very talented, I joke with them that if you carried a camera around with you wherever you go like I do you'll get lucky at some time. I have friends who have been doing super creative and just amazing things even in high school and I just can't wrap my head around how they do it or how they think of it. I think I'm much more of a literal thinker as I have never ever been remotely artistic in my life. I can sketch something out roughly if I have a picture to work from or an object but can not for the life of me put something on paper from my head :P Or play my guitar to save my life haha.
09-13-2012, 08:20 PM   #13

I'm from Sturgeon Bay. I know Glidden Drive well. I used to go out there during the hot summers and swim in the lake to cool off. I thought that was quarry park! My wife's Aunts all worked at Al J's...love that place!

Treetop
09-14-2012, 05:22 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Great series those sunset shots are very good.
09-15-2012, 07:44 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Great series those sunset shots are very good.
Thanks, I'm thinking of submitting 1, 2, 6, 17, 18, 21 and maybe 5 to Pentax Galleries but not sure if I think they are good enough. I'd like to eventually get something into the premier gallery haha.