Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Wild Flowers Gone Wild!
Lens: Pentax SMC 50mm F1.4, Pentax Extension Tubes #1-3 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Cottonwood, CA USA ISO: 100 
Posted By: WillH, 09-12-2012, 03:11 PM

Today I went looking for wild flowers. It's hasn't rained sense May so the pickings are slim. I don't have a clue what variety some of the flowers are, but I do know a couple. I shot the flowers in full sun on a picnic table using between F22 to F8 with most around F10. The shutter speeds were around 60-250's. I opened the shutter up for a few shots and shot at 400+'s. The pictures are cropped from larger images. For some lame reason I didn't use the view finder properly and cut the bottoms off several flowers? Technique Again, these flowers are growing with no rains sense May! Tough plants.....

Don't have any idea what this is! The brown circular thingy is a seed pod.

This is Tar Weed or Hemizonia Pungens. Stinks and very prickly. Yes, it is sticky too!

Star Thistle.

Again, I have no idea ...just thought is was a neat picture

This is referred to as Turkey Mullen. Produces a seed that wild turkeys like I suppose.....

Same O, same O. You have no idea how bad this plant smells

Last edited by WillH; 09-12-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Views: 1,141
09-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
These are all great, send some full sun my way!
09-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deaning Quote
These are all great, send some full sun my way!
I'm trying! I want some rain!

Too bad my pictures aren't scratch and sniff! Most of those plants emit a very strong odor. It's not what I would call a fragrance ......frankly, they stink!

Last edited by WillH; 09-13-2012 at 03:36 AM.
09-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice series of photos WillH. You do a good job with those extension tubes. One caveat I have though is I do hope you aren't digging up any plants. Photographers in this part of the world get a bad name because they do that and many a rare or endangered plant gets destroyed because of it.

09-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A very nice series Will looking into the world of small.---charliezap
09-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Nice series of photos WillH. You do a good job with those extension tubes. One caveat I have though is I do hope you aren't digging up any plants. Photographers in this part of the world get a bad name because they do that and many a rare or endangered plant gets destroyed because of it.
Don't worry! We live on a moderately large ranch that I own! I merely clipped a few blossoms here and there. Besides, I don't want those "weeds" in my yard. I know there are those who feel owning a ranch is offensive, but we are good stewards of the land - our success depends on how well we care for the land. I've lived here 63 years and my family has owned and operated this ranch sense 1878! My Granddaughter is the eighth generation to live here. Our ranch is managed much better than the government owned forest, by far!. Also, nothing I photographed is endangered.....far from it!

Charliezap, tis fun! Think I've just about done the flower thing for this year. Unless I find something extra special I think I'm done for now!
09-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WillH Quote
Don't worry! We live on a moderately large ranch that I own! I merely clipped a few blossoms here and there. Besides, I don't want those "weeds" in my yard. I know there are those who feel owning a ranch is offensive, but we are good stewards of the land - our success depends on how well we care for the land. I've lived here 63 years and my family has owned and operated this ranch sense 1878! My Granddaughter is the eighth generation to live here. Our ranch is managed much better than the government owned forest, by far!. Also, nothing I photographed is endangered.....far from it!

Charliezap, tis fun! Think I've just about done the flower thing for this year. Unless I find something extra special I think I'm done for now!
I admire anyone who ranches and farms in these tough economic times. Guess farmers and ranchers never have it easy. How you guys do it I'll never know. Tough work all the way around. Over 100 years, that is amazing. Keep it up - I do love my meat .
10-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
Forum Member

Wow! I get a little color and think I'm really cool. I searched a lot of green and brown to get a little flower power. You seem to have color even if it doesn't rain! Great close-ups.

10-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Let me be the first to tell you Will, your photos stink and that is a good thing my friend.
10-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Will these are wonderful images! Interesting, colourful, crisp and nicely composed. I enjoyed them very much and find it ironic that such gorgeous plants are so stinky, sticky and stingy.