Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
McLachlans' Farm
Lens: DA 18-135 Camera: K20D Photo Location: Algonquin Park, Canada ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F4.5 
Posted By: normhead, 09-13-2012, 11:41 AM

From our recent canoe trip... a sunset of McLachlan farm. Photos are by both Tess and myself....

Dan McLachlan created a farm in what is now Algonquin Park..on the rumour that it was good farm land. I'm not sure when the last time it actually operated was, but no doubt a very long time ago. Dan McLachlin who started the farm quickly discovered selling lumber was more profitable and he soon was running a lumber operation, and not doing very much farming at all. He operated a business from the Park called McLachlin Brothers. By the 1880's they were calling this site the White Trout Depot.

Picture taken from the water.

Building remains...

If it was ever really a farm, all that grows there now is wild flowers.

Although in season you could probably get a good crop of raspberries there.

And there are some impressive rock piles,

Across the lake you can see these cliffs...

From the beach in front of the farm.

From where the sunsetting over McLachlan's farm can be seen, as in the first picture in this series.

Here we are busy with our cameras.

One more time....

Last edited by normhead; 09-13-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Views: 922
09-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A great series Norm.Too bad you guys don't get out that much.--ZAPPER
09-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

a very enjoyable series to view, love that field of wildflowers
09-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
TFL zapper and Bobber... doesn't that field of wild flowers look like a good place for a romp, unfortunately it was full of raspberry canes and wild rose, Tess came home bleeding.. I wore long pants...

Last edited by normhead; 09-14-2012 at 06:04 AM.
09-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great series - I love Algonquin - makes me want to get back there soon - hopefully for the fall colours. I really think I am not appreciating my 18-135 mm lens after seeing these shots as well. Great use of DOF in some of those photos. It's a great lens to take when kayaking or canoeing since you don't have to worry about changing lenses so much and it is water resistant, but I always feel somehow like I should have a "limited" with me. I think I need to shoot more with this lens after seeing your shots and those of loco yesterday. Thanks for sharing - you are very knowledgeable about Algonquin and it is interesting for me to read your posts having been to Algonquin many times, but not with anyone so familiar with the history as yourself.

Last edited by fotogaffer; 09-13-2012 at 05:12 PM.
09-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks fotogaffer, looking at Tess' images I'm guessing a lot of the shallow DoF shots you're referring to our hers, taken with the Tamron 90 macro. The snap dragons were taken with the 18-135 so it does do narrow DoF reasonably well. I carry the 18-135 but the 21 Ltd is always with me, and often the DA 35. The Goldenrod was taken with the 21 ltd, and the rocks and distance shot of the cliff were taken with the DA* 60-250. I usually take the DA 18-135, and DA* 60-250, and whatever will fit into pouches. The sunset was taken with the 18-135, it was a fairly strenuous hike to get to the lookout with lots of deadfall.. the 18-135, 21 Ltd and my point and shoot were all I took. The 21 Ltd takes almost no space.. there's just no excuse for leaving it home.

Hey photo gaffer did you see our Niagara series last christmas... there are lots of great shooting locations out your way.

Last edited by normhead; 09-13-2012 at 05:14 PM.
09-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

great series & interesting, love the sunset & the closeups of the wild flowers, enjoyed the view, cheers.

09-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Thanks fotogaffer, looking at Tess' images I'm guessing a lot of the shallow DoF shots you're referring to our hers, taken with the Tamron 90 macro. The snap dragons were taken with the 18-135 so it does do narrow DoF reasonably well. I carry the 18-135 but the 21 Ltd is always with me, and often the DA 35. The Goldenrod was taken with the 21 ltd, and the rocks and distance shot of the cliff were taken with the DA* 60-250. I usually take the DA 18-135, and DA* 60-250, and whatever will fit into pouches. The sunset was taken with the 18-135, it was a fairly strenuous hike to get to the lookout with lots of deadfall.. the 18-135, 21 Ltd and my point and shoot were all I took. The 21 Ltd takes almost no space.. there's just no excuse for leaving it home.

Hey photo gaffer did you see our Niagara series last christmas... there are lots of great shooting locations out your way.
Can't wait to show my wife this post re all the photo gear you pack - she is always shaking her head at the photo equipment I am jamming into a kayak or backpack! Thanks for the link on your Niagara photos - I hadn't seen those before - I have indeed been to all those locations and there certainly are a lot of photogenic areas here too. But escaping civilization for the lure of the rocks, water and trees of the north is always strong for me.
09-14-2012, 05:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Wow this puts you area on the bucket list Norm that fist one simply needs to be on a wall somewhere ! And what's all the stuff over you and Tess ? oh wait now .....it's clothes.
09-14-2012, 06:02 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the comment Ceecee, daacon, all that picture proves is don't take any pictures you don't want posted on the internet, because who knows what your crazy wife will do.
09-14-2012, 06:17 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Can't wait to show my wife this post re all the photo gear you pack.
On our last trip we took two pelican cases, one held the K-x with the DA*60-250, mounted on the camera, because anything you'd shoot with that lens is not going to wait for you to change lenses, that case also contains the DA 35, the DA 10-17, and the 21 Ltd extra batteries, lens mounts etc.. Tess' case had the K-5 with the Sigma 70-300, the Tamron 90, and the FA 50. On my waist, with a camera bag attached to my belt was the K20D with the 18-135, top partly unzipped so it could be removed quickly. I have a waterproof dry bag tucked into the belt in case of rain. The whole belt and camera can be tucked safely into the bag if needed. We both bring tripods, and we have a monopod we bring as well. Then there's the gorilla pod and the two waterproof point and shoots... Optio W9 and 10.

The camera pack has just gotten bigger and bigger.

And we're hoping to add the SIgma 8-16 and DA 15 to the kit. A lot of the time we canoe with the pelican cases under the canoe seats, but having the 18-135 on my belt works much better and has almost made the Optio waterproofs redundant.
09-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, that mountain meadow is really something special!
09-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Oh, that mountain meadow is really something special!
It really was, and at the back of it there's a trail that goes to Heron rookery, that we didn't get to, next time.