Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Well, we have been back from..........
Lens: 18-135 Camera: K 5 Photo Location: Canada 
Posted By: Heinrich Lohmann, 09-14-2012, 02:36 PM

our Yukon trip for a couple of weeks now and most chores are caught up and I have started processing a picture or two.

On the second day of our trip north we arrived in Dawson Creek, BC and checked into the MILE 0 campground. It looked like it had been taking over by the Military. A convoy of 90+ vehicles, mostly American but some Canadian as well were traveling up the Alaska Highway in honour of the building of the highway 70 years ago. All vehicles I was told are privately owned, restored and maintained. This was their assembly point and they had another few days to get ready. (and party just a little bit) Here are a few pictures:

Comments are always welcome and appreciated

If someone is interested a few more are here: Dawson Creek-Alaska Highway-Mile 0 Photo Gallery by Heinrich Lohmann at pbase.com
Views: 866
09-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very cool Heinrich. I wonder if this was the same convoy Bob caught down south. Looks like a good start to the trip.
09-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A very nice set of pics. Lot of work in those restorations.
09-15-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like everyone had a good time at the campground Heinrich.--charliezap

09-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Very cool Heinrich. I wonder if this was the same convoy Bob caught down south. Looks like a good start to the trip.
Hi Dave and thank you, the one that Bob saw was at least a week behind this one and was much smaller. There was another smaller one ahead of this one but I never got to se it.

Take care,

QuoteOriginally posted by deaning Quote
A very nice set of pics. Lot of work in those restorations.
Thank you and you are not kidding plus the ongoing maintenance and parts scrounging.

Take care,

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Looks like everyone had a good time at the campground Heinrich.--charliezap
Thanks Charlie and we did.

Take care,
09-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

You know Heinrich, you're just a damn fine shooter! Those are great shots, couldn't be better...and they are also interesting, which makes them even better! Enjoy every minute of your trip...and let us enjoy it with you!
Regards!
09-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad you got to meet up with the convoy Heinrich, quite a group of dedicated people aren't they. Great pics, I guess they will all meet up further north to start the major convoy. Welcome Back and looking forward to your adventure photos. Here is a link to the convoy I met up with.https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/195312-travel-bivouackin...s-montana.html

09-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Nice shots. Did you see any Humvee's?
09-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
You know Heinrich, you're just a damn fine shooter! Those are great shots, couldn't be better...and they are also interesting, which makes them even better! Enjoy every minute of your trip...and let us enjoy it with you!
Regards!
Hi Rupert and thank you. We had a wonderful trip, the weather didn't always cooperate but such is life.

Take care,

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Glad you got to meet up with the convoy Heinrich, quite a group of dedicated people aren't they. Great pics, I guess they will all meet up further north to start the major convoy. Welcome Back and looking forward to your adventure photos. Here is a link to the convoy I met up with.https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/195312-travel-bivouackin...s-montana.html
Thank you Bob. When we met them in Dawson Creek that was the final assembly point. At that time from what I was told, they were down to 92 units. Man that was a dedicated bunch, the morning we left I met a gentleman at the wash house and he did look cold. Turns out that he slept under the stars in a "zero" rated sleeping bag. I explained to him that to sleep outside in just above freezing temps you want at least a -20 bag. He was going shopping. You and I have similar shots of the same vehicles. some more of mine are here: Dawson Creek-Alaska Highway-Mile 0 Photo Gallery by Heinrich Lohmann at pbase.com

Take care,

QuoteOriginally posted by Ducatigaz Quote
Nice shots. Did you see any Humvee's?
Thank you and no, no Hummer's. This was a convoy of original '42 or thereabouts equipment.

Take care,