Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Modern Ruins Part Two - Then and Now.
Posted By: blwnhr, 02-02-2008, 04:05 AM

As part 2 of my series on the Old Launceston General Hospital I decided to spend some time at the library and see what old photographs I could find of the hospital from yesteryear. After the better part of 6 hours I had found what I wanted and scanned it all.

The following are 5 original photographs I have done my best to reproduce. There are a couple which aren't 100% and I'll think I'll reshoot them. However, these get the impression I was aiming for.

For Part One of the series please click here.

Views: 2,263
02-02-2008, 05:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
OOPS! Can this please be moved to the Post Your Photos forum, I didn't mean to post it in here.
02-02-2008, 05:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blwnhr Quote
OOPS! Can this please be moved to the Post Your Photos forum, I didn't mean to post it in here.
moved...

very interesting
02-02-2008, 08:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

What's amazing to me is the fact that they have allowed graffiti to deface the building (I am not against graffiti if it doesn't deface.

Is this still used as a hospital, so much of the original structure and apertures are still there.

02-02-2008, 08:22 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Nice series! It could be used as a great photojournalistic topic.

JC - the windows are all smashed out, I doubt very much if it is used as a hospital today; looks pretty much abandoned. It would be a rather plain building without that distinctive spiral stairway.
02-02-2008, 05:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No it has not been used as a hospital for about 12 years. However this building is less than 200M from the new hospital! This building has some of the best views in the city.

It was recently sold by the state government to a developer for $700,000. Incredibly cheap considering the size of the land, as well as the building, not to mention location.

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
It would be a rather plain building without that distinctive spiral stairway.
My thoughts exactly. However, the company doing the architecture is removing them all (there are 3)! It is a beautiful art-deco building and should be maintained as such. Instead they are straightening out all the curves in the facades in an attempt to make it look modern.
02-03-2008, 09:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Interesting series. Amazing that in all those years, that white car in the first two photos has only moved a few feet.

02-03-2008, 01:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hahahah! Brilliant observation!