Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Yellowstone
Camera: k10D Photo Location: Yellowstone 
Posted By: mr tibbs, 09-15-2012, 06:58 PM

Here are a few quick photos from our trip to Yellowstone. We got home earlier today and I have a lot of photo editing to do. Here is a down and dirty version of the trip!

Lamar Valley

Prismatic Spring

The Mighty Madison River

Grand Tetons

Gray Wolf

Grizzly Bear

Yellowstone Bison

The rest can be found here. More to come in the near future!

C&C always welcome. And one note, when we arrived to the park I suddenly remembered that I forgot an important piece of equipment, a 67mm polarizing filter for my Tamron 17mm-50mm f2.8 lens. When we got to West Yellowstone, Montana I went to the camera shop to purchase one. After I got in the car I attempted to put it on but it appeared to have some spider cracks through out the filter. I went back into the camera shop to swap it out, but much to the shop owners horror all of the filters that she just ordered had the spider cracks. So, I had to make due. The "solar flares" add some grit to the pics, but I would have liked to have the filter to eliminate them.
Views: 993
09-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
from the variety of photos it looks like you had a great trip with fine photos taken. love the wolf and grizzly shots, I guess the animals have started to come down off the mountain.
09-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually the Bear and Wolf photos were taken at the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center in West Yellowstone. Sure it's cheating, but the wife likes the photos!

On a side note we did see three grizzly bears and three wolves! The bears and two of the wolves were in Hayden Valley munching on a dead bison. the other wolf was in Lamar Valley. We could only see an ear of one wolf, but all of the wolf watchers assured us that it was a wolf!
10-24-2012, 07:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I finally got around to editing the rest of these photos. Here are a few more keepers!

The rest of the album can be found here. Thanks for looking! Hopefully you have as much fun looking at these photos as I had taking them!

10-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I absolutely have to get to Yellowstone one more time. Last time I went I had two teenagers with me, and I got a lot of "oh no dad, you're not stopping to take another picture are you?" These pictures really bring home how much I'd enjoy being out there without kids. Taking the kids was great too, but I want a trip for myself. You picked some great angle and viewpoints that really make the scenes stand out.
10-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I like the photo of the geiser (sp?). The rising steam and water really stands out against a dark blue sky. Did you use a polarizer for that shot?
10-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Too bad about the polarizer but you managed to overcome not having it. Wonderful series of shots.

10-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jnguyen Quote
I like the photo of the geiser (sp?). The rising steam and water really stands out against a dark blue sky. Did you use a polarizer for that shot?
No polarizer, and there is a story behind that. I realized the first day that I forgot a polarizer for my Tamron 17-55mm f2.8 lens. We were staying in Idaho, but the nearest camera shop was in West Yellowstone. So, on our way into the park I stopped by the camera shop to purchase a CPL for the Tamron lens. After purchasing the filter I went to the vehicle and immediately put it on the lens. When I put it on something did not look right. I took the filter off and realized it had a hairline crack through the entire lens! I took the filter back into the camera shop for an exchange. As it turns out the shop owner received a shipment of the CPL's just yesterday. As we looked for a replacement she was shocked to discover that ALL of the filters had the cracks in them!! So, she refunded my money and I left with no CPL. Next time (and there will be a next time) I will double check my gear before going on an adventure like this!!

BTW, that geyser is actually Old Faithful from a different angle!
10-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #9

Wonderful shots and looking forward to seeing more!
10-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful shots, thanks for sharing. I was there in 2010 and I'm ready to go back. I went with my two sons and a nephew and we had a great time, staying at West Yellowstone. However my best day of shooting was the morning I got up early and let them sleep. I drove into the park along the Madison River area and got some great opportunities.

You mention the wolf watchers and that was quite amazing, it's like there are followers wherever the wolves go, and they know the pack by name. Apparently there are a lot of people watching different animals. We were at one of the pull-offs in the Lamar Valley and started talking to a woman who was a school teacher that had a summer job at the park. She had told us about a badger den she was watching/tracking and said she would lead us to it, just a few miles away. We got there and she was upset because a herd of 20-30 people were standing right on top of the badger den watching a much more common animal, so the badgers wouldn't be making an appearance for a while.

Anyway, good photos, keep 'em coming!
10-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What a wonderful set of images, having never been there makes them all the more interesting. What happened to #3 ? did you PP the grain in? That is one that does not work for me but that is just me. Thanks for posting the set and if you have more please don't be shy.
10-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
What a wonderful set of images, having never been there makes them all the more interesting. What happened to #3 ? did you PP the grain in? That is one that does not work for me but that is just me. Thanks for posting the set and if you have more please don't be shy.
Thanks for the kind words! I did PP the grain into #3, and looking at it I also think that it is a little too much. I was going for that old film look but it didn't quite turn out like I had it in my head. Maybe I will try again on that one.
10-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice selection of images Mr. Tibbs. I was there 2 weeks ago and all the wildlife were still up in the hills. Now that there's some snow and it's colder they'll be moving down to where we can shoot at them.