Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Something different - commercial images
Posted By: Marc Langille, 02-02-2008, 04:08 PM

Hi Everyone,

Most of you know me for landscape, nature, macro and similar images. I've done some portraiture too. However, here's a new venue for me: commercial industrial images. Security and safety at these intermodal rail yards are very high. Even the the president of the US would require permission to enter.

I've put up a few on my website, and here are a few for you. Almost all images taken with the amazing DA 12-24, w/circular polarizing filter, handheld.

These were test shots for marketing/presentation literature.

In case you're wondering, those are 100,000 pound capacity cranes. Normally the max. load in a larger container is 55,000 lbs. I've been up in one, and it's a whole different perspective!

Cheers,
Marc
Views: 1,830
02-02-2008, 04:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi Marc. These images look great with your clever use of Da12-24

Not sure what the whole intention for these images are. If it was only for documentary, I would desaturate the image a little with addition of dry brush look to it.

Really great composition and thanks for sharing
02-02-2008, 04:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Hi Marc. These images look great with your clever use of Da12-24

Not sure what the whole intention for these images are. If it was only for documentary, I would desaturate the image a little with addition of dry brush look to it.

Really great composition and thanks for sharing
Thanks James! These images are just being used for a PowerPoint presentation. Therefore the saturation has to be a little higher, since many of the current projectors make the images a little dull looking when it comes to color/saturation.

I'd tone it down if they were in offset printing or anything similar. Thanks for looking/commenting and it's definitely a new thing for me... !

Cheers,
Marc
02-02-2008, 05:08 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great images Marc. It's a bit strange seeing industrial images from you. Like the perspective of the locomotive and the freight extending back to infinity. Would love to go for a ride in one of those. Have been in the (much) smaller switch engines that NY Transit uses to move material/work trains in. I was surprised with the power of those little guys, can't imagine what those big ones would feel like. Containerized freight is pretty nifty to see it being moved about.

NaCl(nice use of the 12-24)H2O

02-03-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Great images Marc. It's a bit strange seeing industrial images from you. Like the perspective of the locomotive and the freight extending back to infinity. Would love to go for a ride in one of those. Have been in the (much) smaller switch engines that NY Transit uses to move material/work trains in. I was surprised with the power of those little guys, can't imagine what those big ones would feel like. Containerized freight is pretty nifty to see it being moved about.

NaCl(nice use of the 12-24)H2O
Thank you for the comments! I know, it's much different than the norm for me...

BTW, the 5,000 foot long trains assembled on the coasts when the container ships come in and unload is normally 2-3 engines. Each car can carry 4-6 containers, weighing up to 55,000 lbs each, so I'll let you do the math...

Cheers,
Marc
02-03-2008, 06:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So did you have to use any special tools to get the 300 f2.8 unlocked from the body?

Great shots Marc. Like Salty I like the train shot. The polarizer did a great job (or you did a great job with the CPL) with these. Love the colour and sharp as a tack as always. Very different than your typical stuff. Find any strange urban wildlife?

It may not matter for the application but you might want to consider a little correction. The extemes show that typical wide leaning straight lines thing.
02-03-2008, 06:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah...

Wonderful Images as usual. I love the framing and feel...You are a natural!

Thanks for the posting.

Ben

02-05-2008, 10:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
So did you have to use any special tools to get the 300 f2.8 unlocked from the body?

Great shots Marc. Like Salty I like the train shot. The polarizer did a great job (or you did a great job with the CPL) with these. Love the colour and sharp as a tack as always. Very different than your typical stuff. Find any strange urban wildlife?

It may not matter for the application but you might want to consider a little correction. The extemes show that typical wide leaning straight lines thing.
Yep - crowbar and sledgehammer...

Regarding strange urban wildlife: there were some interesting characters, but that's about it...

I hear you about the ultra-wide angle giving a bit of distortion there. Unfortunately if I correct the vertical aspect, I chop off the top of the containers...

Thanks for looking Peter!

Cheers,
Marc
02-05-2008, 10:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Wonderful Images as usual. I love the framing and feel...You are a natural!

Thanks for the posting.

Ben

Thanks Ben! It's a little ironic = a natural at taking industrial images! Never thought I'd be doing it!

Thanks again for stopping by and commenting.

Cheers,
Marc