Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

An Itch I just had to scratch!!
Posted By: tessfully, 09-18-2012, 01:46 PM

That is what photography is like. It doesn't matter that it was pouring rain today, I just had to get out with my camera. Rain coat, rain boots, umbrella, a lens and camera that is water resistant and off we went to the closed logging roads for a stroll through some amazing hills.

One thing to note, I did not realize my camera was still set on JPEG. I was so disappointed when I got home... BUT, it sure made post processing easy. I hardly did anything to these. I know these have a different feel to them over the RAW I am used to working with, but I can't articulate what I see. Opinions regarding the JPEG quality would be most appreciated. thanks!!

thank you for looking
Views: 1,647
09-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Beautiful and colorful Tess, I would never know they were jpgs. Usually when you find that out it's after shooting in snow or a dark area and you can't fix them. These seem to be exposed just right! The shot with the grass in the water is very unique and creative.
Thanks so much for having a look and sharing your thoughts on this Tom! Thanks too for the compliments

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
To be honest, if you had not "confessed" I would not have known.

# 2 might look a bit flat (could be just the light) but #6 is lacking nothing for the experience. I often open jpegs as Camera Raw in Photoshop Elements and can get some worthwhile gains.
Thanks Bruce. It was pouring rain so the light was dull, but the colours oh so vibrant and rich due to being wet. Today I shot under beautiful blue sky in Raw + JPEG, so I can't wait to see the results.

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Love rainy day walks! I actually was out in between the rains today. All great images especially in the rain.

Jpegs........hmmmm.....funny you bring that up. After reading the thread with the sheepdog roundup where the OP shot the day with jpeg, it really got me to thinking. I do spend a lot of time in PP, and have pretty much ended up now with a preset routine and just run the raws through with a jpeg output, then a little sharpen and resize for the ones for the web, and that's it. I will spend some more time with that great once in a while shot, but that doesn't happen all too often.

So today, I set both cameras to raw+ and set the camera jpeg settings where I thought was a good starting point. I actually did get some great shots today (300mm lens club) and had a good chance to compare my jpegs to raws. I ran the raws through my normal process, then compared the output jpegs to the OOC jpegs. I was quite surprised to find very little difference, and that little bit of difference weighed to liking the OOC ones better. I even had to heavily crop the images I posted, an still used the OOC images to post.

I know if I spent more time with the raws I could probably do better, but I am now in the mode of concentrating on my image making. Since back in the film days, I am still used to trying to get it right as possible in the camera, and I seem to be going that way again. I am however staying with raw+ so that I do have the raw file for that special shot that needs something more.

Your jpeg images all look just great to me!
Hey Stan, I took a page from your book and shot in both today. Also, I want to drop the the 300 mm lens club to see your images. Interesting how a mistake can turn into such a learning experience

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
They look great to me. I especially like the last one!!
oh thank you! I took that for fun... sometimes I *think* I am being funny

QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
Number 6 (pine needles and rain drops) is my favorite. Lots of posting from Algonquin park around here, which I fully understand having piad my first visit only a few weeks ago.
Thank you so much for dropping by and commenting. I was so happy with number 6 too, surprised and then happy! Very cool that you were just here! Which part did you visit? The colours are now popping

09-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Well first and I think more important than anything else is that those are really cute rain boots, Terri really likes them too. I think with the advancements of camera settings and the bells and whistles normally there isn't an advantage to shooting RAW, unless you are a pro and shooting for that extra little advantage or you want to save photos in their pure state. I only shoot JPEG now because my editing skills continue to go downhill as I age and I just don't have the extra time, traveling as we do. I think these images of yours are all a pleasure to view and I honestly couldn't tell any difference in quality from raw or jpeg.
First, thank you Bob and Terri for the footwear compliment Bob, I had no idea that so many people shoot in JPEG! I have spent the last two years believing that my advancement from a point and shoot to my DSLR meant I would have all the advantages of RAW, without realizing the JPEGs also advanced to this degree out of camera. At least for now I am going to shoot in both to learn the advantages and disadvantages of both methods. You are always such a wonderful support; thanks for everything!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
these look pretty good to me, a couple maybe just a tad flat by your normal very high standards but that may just be the light, see my comments in newmikey's post re raw & jpeg. SD cards and computer hardrives are so cheap these days I shoot both raw + jpeg, saves a lot of time on PP. and the raws are still there if you feel the need. Love the boots!
cheers
Thanks Cee Cee... you are right on the money I will look at your post on Mike's thread. Thank you so much for commenting and for the nice compliment on my footwear!

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
These look great! I wouldn't have known they were jpg (and especially considering I'm seeing them on a laptop). The color is rich, especially the reds. #6 is especially cool. The only pictures in which I think RAW might have made a difference are the ones with the sky, #4 and #8. These two look like mild HDR? (some remnant halos). Maybe RAW could have given you more texture in the sky. Overall though, thumbs up! (I pressed the like button but Pentax said I had to spread more reputation around).
Jerry, thank you for such kind comments (and for *liking* my images)! I now see that halo. I will have to have a look to see if I can get rid of it. I did shoot at 1600 for most of these and there was also quite a bit of noise in the sky, so I did use Apertures de-noise. I wonder if that flattened the image? It wasn't ideal light, that is for sure. Thanks again

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Great shooting ...as usual! Norm's a brave man to wear those shoes!...he has small feet too!

Beautiful shots of beautiful scenery!
Regards!
That really made me laugh Rupert! Thanks for the smile and for the great comments

QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
Wow, you can actually see the rainfall in no. 2. I tried a couple of times to capture the impression of
falling rain this summer, but didn't get a good result, flash or no flash. Rain is a difficult subject.

Re. the jpeg thing, I like your bold choice of contrast and saturation. You're not afraid to push those
sliders to the right.

Regards,
--Anders.
Hi Anders, thanks for having a look and commenting. With regards to processing these JPEGS, I actually desaturated and turned down the luminescence on the reds as the colour was so blasted there was no detail. I also did the same for the green on the lily leaves in the water. I turned up the yellow luminescence (not saturation) to brighten some of the image as it was such a gray day. I did enhance the contrast on all of them I think, by contrasting the mid-tones only, and I pushed the slider bar all the way up trying to get some depth and definition in the images. That was the limit of what the JPEGs allowed for... oh, I did turn down the highlights in a couple, also to try to bring some definition back to the leaves.

I do love how the rain made all the colours so rich and vibrant.
09-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Nice shots Tess.Any shots that I have ever posted are jpegs.I tried raw and didn't see any discernible difference.I use the settings on the K5 to try get the shot right on the money from the get go and the only thing that I do in PP is minor brightness/contrast/sharpness fine tuning if needed.--charliezap
Wow Charlie, I am so surprised. I just assumed everyone used RAW. Your images really pop, they are so vibrant and colourful. Maybe the K5 is just super a JPEGs that are full of colour? I'll find out because I am now experimenting and comparing. Thanks for having a look and sharing your technique

QuoteOriginally posted by usn ret Quote
SHHHHHH, keep it a secret about not being processed from RAW as most of us just enjoy seeing your pics and the pleasure from taking and sharing with your fellow Pentaxians. You obviously enjoy getting out and taking the pics that you share here and we thank you for that as most of us don't have that big outdoors that you and Norm get to roam around in..Thank you for sharing........Cliff

PS, when is the first snowfall???
Oh Cliff, that was such a nice thing to say... you made me blush Thanks so much! I do feel really privileged and full of thanks for somehow ending up here in the gorgeous place. ...snow.... well, it could be a matter of weeks....but it doesn't usually stay around till the end of November, or into December.

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Wow Tess. The rain really made the colors pop didn't it. Beautiful series of shots. By the way, I love your boots.
Thanks Susan! We missed you!! Happy to see you are back. Ya, the boots are fun!! Much prettier than my old black wellies with the dark red rim and sole.

QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
Beautiful images. Especially like the third one.
Thanks so much bluestringer! That is exactly how that bush appeared to me... oh so radiant and rich.
09-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Nice shots Tess.Any shots that I have ever posted are jpegs.I tried raw and didn't see any discernible difference.I use the settings on the K5 to try get the shot right on the money from the get go and the only thing that I do in PP is minor brightness/contrast/sharpness fine tuning if needed.--charliezap
Charlie, I don't notice much difference in the image quality either, but one thing I have noticed is that shooting RAW allows a lot more leeway in the editing. For example in a high contrast image, you can take the sky down by 2 EV, or an underexposed foreground up by 2 EV, and still retain good color and detail. In JPEG I think you could maybe correct to only +/- 1 EV. Anyway in Aperture I've noticed a much better response to many of the editing tools when using RAW.

09-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We were in the south around Cache Lake, Mizzy trail, Canoe lake....

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote

Thank you so much for dropping by and commenting. I was so happy with number 6 too, surprised and then happy! Very cool that you were just here! Which part did you visit? The colours are now popping
Attached Images

09-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #21
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Love the boots! But they're all great shots. I wouldn't have noted the jpeg difference.
09-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #22
Den
Veteran Member

Unless you are going to print BIG, jpeg shooting for web upload is more than sufficient. The images are so compressed (if that's the correct term for major resizing) for loading on the web. Now, if one were to look at, say a 16x20 print, a difference would be much, much more noticeable. In any event, the images are great. I really like the one with the raindrop rings.
09-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

beautiful captures tess.... love those fall hues.... looks like the forecasters were right... supposed to have
a beautiful fall foliage season here as well.... thanks for sharing ! dave m

09-22-2012, 06:48 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
We were in the south around Cache Lake, Mizzy trail, Canoe lake....
Oh wow, thank you for posting those beautiful images! The first looks very much like the Mizzy Lake hiking trail. The second could have been taken from the Track and Tower Trail looking out at Cache Lake. So cool that you were here!

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Love the boots! But they're all great shots. I wouldn't have noted the jpeg difference.
Thank you for having a look and for the nice comments jac!

QuoteOriginally posted by Den Quote
Unless you are going to print BIG, jpeg shooting for web upload is more than sufficient. The images are so compressed (if that's the correct term for major resizing) for loading on the web. Now, if one were to look at, say a 16x20 print, a difference would be much, much more noticeable. In any event, the images are great. I really like the one with the raindrop rings.
Thank you so much Den. Great info and I appreciated your compliment!

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
beautiful captures tess.... love those fall hues.... looks like the forecasters were right... supposed to have
a beautiful fall foliage season here as well.... thanks for sharing ! dave m
Thank you Dave Every day the colours burst ever more vibrant. I look forward to seeing your fall images
09-22-2012, 06:58 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Aaaahhhhh - those beautiful changing colors, something we see little of around here. Nice job, as always, Tess.

Jer