Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
An Itch I just had to scratch!!
Lens: Pentax 18 - 135 Camera: K5 Photo Location: South Algonquin, Ontario ISO: 1600 Aperture: F8 
Posted By: tessfully, 09-18-2012, 01:46 PM

That is what photography is like. It doesn't matter that it was pouring rain today, I just had to get out with my camera. Rain coat, rain boots, umbrella, a lens and camera that is water resistant and off we went to the closed logging roads for a stroll through some amazing hills.

One thing to note, I did not realize my camera was still set on JPEG. I was so disappointed when I got home... BUT, it sure made post processing easy. I hardly did anything to these. I know these have a different feel to them over the RAW I am used to working with, but I can't articulate what I see. Opinions regarding the JPEG quality would be most appreciated. thanks!!

thank you for looking
Views: 1,964
09-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful and colorful Tess, I would never know they were jpgs. Usually when you find that out it's after shooting in snow or a dark area and you can't fix them. These seem to be exposed just right! The shot with the grass in the water is very unique and creative.
09-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To be honest, if you had not "confessed" I would not have known.

# 2 might look a bit flat (could be just the light) but #6 is lacking nothing for the experience. I often open jpegs as Camera Raw in Photoshop Elements and can get some worthwhile gains.
09-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Love rainy day walks! I actually was out in between the rains today. All great images especially in the rain.

Jpegs........hmmmm.....funny you bring that up. After reading the thread with the sheepdog roundup where the OP shot the day with jpeg, it really got me to thinking. I do spend a lot of time in PP, and have pretty much ended up now with a preset routine and just run the raws through with a jpeg output, then a little sharpen and resize for the ones for the web, and that's it. I will spend some more time with that great once in a while shot, but that doesn't happen all too often.

So today, I set both cameras to raw+ and set the camera jpeg settings where I thought was a good starting point. I actually did get some great shots today (300mm lens club) and had a good chance to compare my jpegs to raws. I ran the raws through my normal process, then compared the output jpegs to the OOC jpegs. I was quite surprised to find very little difference, and that little bit of difference weighed to liking the OOC ones better. I even had to heavily crop the images I posted, an still used the OOC images to post.

I know if I spent more time with the raws I could probably do better, but I am now in the mode of concentrating on my image making. Since back in the film days, I am still used to trying to get it right as possible in the camera, and I seem to be going that way again. I am however staying with raw+ so that I do have the raw file for that special shot that needs something more.

Your jpeg images all look just great to me!

09-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

They look great to me. I especially like the last one!!
09-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Number 6 (pine needles and rain drops) is my favorite. Lots of posting from Algonquin park around here, which I fully understand having piad my first visit only a few weeks ago.
09-18-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well first and I think more important than anything else is that those are really cute rain boots, Terri really likes them too. I think with the advancements of camera settings and the bells and whistles normally there isn't an advantage to shooting RAW, unless you are a pro and shooting for that extra little advantage or you want to save photos in their pure state. I only shoot JPEG now because my editing skills continue to go downhill as I age and I just don't have the extra time, traveling as we do. I think these images of yours are all a pleasure to view and I honestly couldn't tell any difference in quality from raw or jpeg.

09-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

these look pretty good to me, a couple maybe just a tad flat by your normal very high standards but that may just be the light, see my comments in newmikey's post re raw & jpeg. SD cards and computer hardrives are so cheap these days I shoot both raw + jpeg, saves a lot of time on PP. and the raws are still there if you feel the need. Love the boots!
cheers
09-18-2012, 10:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

These look great! I wouldn't have known they were jpg (and especially considering I'm seeing them on a laptop). The color is rich, especially the reds. #6 is especially cool. The only pictures in which I think RAW might have made a difference are the ones with the sky, #4 and #8. These two look like mild HDR? (some remnant halos). Maybe RAW could have given you more texture in the sky. Overall though, thumbs up! (I pressed the like button but Pentax said I had to spread more reputation around).
09-18-2012, 10:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Great shooting ...as usual! Norm's a brave man to wear those shoes!...he has small feet too!

Beautiful shots of beautiful scenery!
Regards!
09-19-2012, 06:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow, you can actually see the rainfall in no. 2. I tried a couple of times to capture the impression of
falling rain this summer, but didn't get a good result, flash or no flash. Rain is a difficult subject.

Re. the jpeg thing, I like your bold choice of contrast and saturation. You're not afraid to push those
sliders to the right.

Regards,
--Anders.
09-19-2012, 06:36 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Nice shots Tess.Any shots that I have ever posted are jpegs.I tried raw and didn't see any discernible difference.I use the settings on the K5 to try get the shot right on the money from the get go and the only thing that I do in PP is minor brightness/contrast/sharpness fine tuning if needed.--charliezap
09-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

SHHHHHH, keep it a secret about not being processed from RAW as most of us just enjoy seeing your pics and the pleasure from taking and sharing with your fellow Pentaxians. You obviously enjoy getting out and taking the pics that you share here and we thank you for that as most of us don't have that big outdoors that you and Norm get to roam around in..Thank you for sharing........Cliff

PS, when is the first snowfall???
09-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Wow Tess. The rain really made the colors pop didn't it. Beautiful series of shots. By the way, I love your boots.
09-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Beautiful images. Especially like the third one.