Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Posted By: NaClH2O, 02-02-2008, 05:16 PM

Well, I finally finished going thru the shots I took last fall from the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges. This shot was taken from the Manhattan bridge as it crossed over Chinatown. I just liked this building frieze. Shot thru a chain link fence unfortunately. K10D, Tamron 28-75 F2.8; f9.0 @1/100

NaCl(I'll post some more shots in another thread)H2O
Views: 2,190
02-02-2008, 05:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Even though there are links blurred in front, that is a great shot - nice perspective and detail of the building's facade!

Cheers,
Marc
02-02-2008, 05:32 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Even with the links, this is a striking shot, my friend. At first glance, I thought there was some morning mist in the shot.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 02-02-2008 at 05:32 PM. Reason: typing while playing with my grandaughter
02-02-2008, 05:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I agree. with the shadows and light angle this came out quite well. Tou can bring yourself into the picture and ignore the fence

02-02-2008, 08:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The shot and detail pulled me right in and I only noticed the chain link haze after your mention.

A lot of really detailed architecture in our cities are fenced away and given foreshortened views making it hard to get good shots of older buildings. Such a shame as the amount of work and detail surpasses most if not all new construction today.
02-02-2008, 09:56 PM   #6
Ed in GA

The chain link fence does not dilute the gravity of this shot at all.

An Architecture style long gone but everlasting in its beauty.

Can you tell that I like it?

Ed
02-02-2008, 11:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I love it Salty, I'm a sucker for old buildings.

02-03-2008, 08:25 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks everybody. I didn't think the chain link fence ruined the shot, but at the same time I still wish it wasn't there.
Clarence, the fence was the suicide fence on the Manhattan bridge I was walking over. I''m going back one of these days with my new-to-me 12-24 and hope to get some good architechural shots from the other side of the Manhattan bridge.
Ed and Stu, you'd really like the Flatiron/Union Sq section of NYC plenty of really great roof lines. Unfortunately there is no real way to get level with them.

NaCl(thanks for the kudos everybody)H2O
02-03-2008, 08:37 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a great shot of this old structure. The fence isn't much of an issue. The detail is great as is the contrast and colour.

Love how much effort they but in these old buildings. Funny how today's structures have a max life or about 50 years (or 10 years in Vegas). This old gal is still going strong at 116.

The other thing I find interesting is that it was build so large (wide) in the days of horse and carriage.
02-03-2008, 10:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Good effect as a result of your framing and blurred wires. It does add the impact to the shot