Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The Brooklyn Bridge, The Manhattan Bridge and ...DUMBO??!!!
Posted By: NaClH2O, 02-02-2008, 06:05 PM

Some parts of NYC are named with geographical shorthand. For instance Tribeca (of film festival fame) stands for Triangle Below Canal; and Soho stands for South of Houston. But the strangest neighborhood name in all of NYC IMHO, is Dumbo. Which stands for Down Underneath the Manhattan Bridge Overpass.
That small geography lesson aside, last fall, shortly after I got my K10D, I walked across the Brooklyn bridge, strolled thru Dumbo and crossed back over the Manhattan. There were some pretty good photo ops. Wish I had had the 12-24 then. I guess I'll have to make another trip now that I have that lens. Anyways, here are a few images from that trip.

Honest, you can't make this stuff up! Tamron 28-75 f6.3 at 1/400

Brooklyn Bridge, looking back towards Manhattan. Lower Manhattan skyline on the left. Zenitar 16mm fisheye 1/320 aperture unknown.

Staten Island Ferry cruising by the Lady. Pentax K 300mm F4.0 at 1/250 aperture unknown

This shot is kinda cliche but I still like it. ESB framed by the Manhattan Bridge tower. Pentax K 135 F2.5 at 1/400 aperture unknown

Love my Zenitar! Brooklyn Bridge east tower. Zenitar fish eye at 1/160 aperture unknown

Manhattan Bridge as seen from the Brooklyn Bridge. Zenitar fish eye at 1/640 aperture unknown

The Lady seen thru the Brooklyn Bridge with a ferry passing underneath and the Port of New Jersey container cranes in the background. Tamron 28-75 f5.6 at 1/1600.

Many more images at: saltwater : photos : East River Bridges: Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges- powered by SmugMug

NaCl(thanks for looking)H2O
Views: 8,154
02-02-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
(Jumping aboard) Until recently I had my office in DUMBO. An odd neighborhood, to be sure.

my old office

Manhattan Bridge

my versions of the cliché shot

An interesting installation of fiber-optic "grass"

looking back to New York
02-02-2008, 07:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

oh and two more

funky bokeh

time
02-02-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Really great use of framing, salty, and I still think that the Brooklyn Bridge is one of the world's best looking bridges. Yet, my favourite shot is that telephoto of the ferry and the statue; not sure why, but it's a beauty.

aaib, also some great frames -- try achieving that accuracy without a single lens reflex!

02-03-2008, 08:52 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Steve, that Lady shot happens to be one of my favs too.
aaib, As an architect you might like this shot. Taken from the Brooklyn side of the Brooklyn Bridge. I really liked how the architect of that building managed to echo the lines of the Manhattan Bridge frame work in the trusses of the roof. And welcome to the forum!

NaCl(if you like architecture than NYC is a good place to live)H2O
02-03-2008, 02:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Salty, the bridge shots are genuinely dramatic - this is the kind of stuff you see in a magazine - you're gonna get rich and famous! Also, thanks for including a sailboat in the harbor shot.

Jer
02-03-2008, 03:24 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Jer, I hope to get shots of all the East River crossings, (except the tunnels of course) it should be a fun project. I'm even planning on taking the Circle line cruise up the East River to get them all from the "ground" so to speak. There was a nice gaff rigged schooner in the harbor but she never got close enough, even with the 300mm. But I did get this shot of a silhouetted schooner under the west tower of the Brooklyn bridge. My favorite detail of this shot is the silhouttes of the pedestrians on the bridge.

NaCl(I got lots of shots of stinkpots, but very few rags-and-sticks that day)H2O
02-03-2008, 03:46 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Great series, especially the bridge shots - well done!

Cheers,
Marc

02-03-2008, 06:05 PM   #9

the night/sunset is excellent.

I can only imagine what an amazing HDR that would have made :-)

well done
02-03-2008, 07:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great scenes of the bridge, love the lines and patterns!

Regards,
D
02-03-2008, 08:22 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Beautiful shots, the first shot of the people walking on the bridge and the sunset shot both really stood out for me.
02-03-2008, 08:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
aaib, As an architect you might like this shot. Taken from the Brooklyn side of the Brooklyn Bridge. I really liked how the architect of that building managed to echo the lines of the Manhattan Bridge frame work in the trusses of the roof. And welcome to the forum!

NaCl(if you like architecture than NYC is a good place to live)H2O
This architect's name is Scarano -- worth a google.

Thanks for the welcome and letting me piggyback Like others I love the SI ferry/ Liberty shot as well.
02-03-2008, 10:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The pattern is very nice, Salty. I love the statue of liberty shot - kind of industrial. Thanks for sharing
« house fire | 1891 »