Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
The Great Beach
Lens: DA 70mm Camera: K-x Photo Location: Cape Cod, MA ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: lectrolink, 09-19-2012, 02:00 AM

Another from my Cape Cod series. I processed this one in a pictorial style inspired by the work of Austrian photographer Heinrich Kuehn, whose work I saw at the Neue Galerie in NYC this summer (although his would have been B&W). Some friends do not like this style at all, but it often grabs me emotionally for some reason. I might prefer sharpening the waves slightly, but I kind of forgot what I did and junked the TIF, so I'd have to start from scratch.

Views: 773
09-19-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think this shot is just great. I know from experience that the application of any filters like this, or HDR, and so on, is very controversial. But who cares? :-) Just do what you like best. It's interesting to see what people like, but at the end of the day it's your picture. A+! It has a pleasing, dreamy, nostalgic feel to it, and I like the subtle colors.
09-19-2012, 08:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I agree with geojerry on this one. I love the feel of it. Really nice processing. It is a beauty.
09-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Simply exquisite!

09-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stunning --- just excellent! I would love to learn how to create this way. Artistic and emotional. Thank you for sharing.
09-20-2012, 05:52 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
... brings me back to my childhood... walking along the beaches in rhode island... love this composition...misty water colored memories, like the way we were... (great song and movie.. ) dave m
09-21-2012, 02:22 AM   #7

Original Poster
I'm a little surprised yet gratified by the very positive response. Unprocessed, it was nearly a throwaway shot. Just goes to show how artistic expression can trump technical perfection sometimes. People's reactions to pictorialism frequently seem to be on a more emotional level, rather than simply admiration for a well exposed/composed shot. The gauzy indistinct effect seems to stimulate the individual subconscious, especially in invoking memories.

09-21-2012, 05:52 AM   #8
Den
Veteran Member

Looks like it was taken with an old film camera. Very cool indeed.
09-21-2012, 09:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lectrolink Quote
I'm a little surprised yet gratified by the very positive response. Unprocessed, it was nearly a throwaway shot. Just goes to show how artistic expression can trump technical perfection sometimes. People's reactions to pictorialism frequently seem to be on a more emotional level, rather than simply admiration for a well exposed/composed shot. The gauzy indistinct effect seems to stimulate the individual subconscious, especially in invoking memories.
This happens to me a lot. A picture looks like nothing special, and then you take another look, try some things, and suddenly you like it. There can be a fine balance between a throwaway and a great shot.
« Venezia | Surfer »