Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  
You didn't ask for it but.........
Posted By: slowpez, 09-21-2012, 12:34 PM

Just returned from a week at our favorite state park and came back with a zillion photos and I am going to post every single one of them. I had such a great time with the 300 and have learned some of its limitations but i really, really love it. These are all hand held (I hate, really hate, my new tripod.) Feel free to critique to your hearts content. I had so much fun that it won't hurt my feelings a bit.
Here are five from all the food groups There were lots of Woodstorks and all kinds of egrets. Lots of insects and a big fellow to eat them all. The alligator crossed the road from salt marsh (rare for them to go fishing in a salt marsh) to a large fresh water pond. Scared the heck out of me as he was no more than eight feet away.
Trust me, there will be more photos to follow.

Last edited by slowpez; 10-19-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Views: 1,438
09-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Susan, Were you using a macro lens for the alligator shot?

Nice series of images here...

marcus

09-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusyoung Quote
Susan, Were you using a macro lens for the alligator shot?

Nice series of images here...

marcus
Thanks Marcus. At the time it felt like I was using a macro. Sometimes I don't pay enough attention to where I am in relation to what I am photographing.
09-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
These look great to me, Susan - particularly for hand held.

Jer
I'm with Sailor on that. I usually try to stay away from suggestions as I'm still a newbie, but I might offer a monopod might be a better stabilizing tool for moving subjects rather than the Tripod. I have both (tripod and monopod) for my DA300 and I save the tripod for the landscape or low light images. The other thing that I've learned is to use the TAV mode more. I was always concerned with keeping the ISO as low as possible coming from the K10D but the K5 cleans up so nice in PP that it works pretty good And because the depth of focus is so narrow with longer lenses it pays to test out the DA300 to make sure it's focus is adjusted correctly. I bought mine second hand from someone on the forum and a quick shot or two taken outside told me it backfocused on my k5. Put a +7 on the K5 and now it is easily one of my favorite lens. Anyway probably way too much sharing but I think your images are really nice and have fun with the DA300.
09-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dice Quote
I'm with Sailor on that. I usually try to stay away from suggestions as I'm still a newbie, but I might offer a monopod might be a better stabilizing tool for moving subjects rather than the Tripod. I have both (tripod and monopod) for my DA300 and I save the tripod for the landscape or low light images. The other thing that I've learned is to use the TAV mode more. I was always concerned with keeping the ISO as low as possible coming from the K10D but the K5 cleans up so nice in PP that it works pretty good And because the depth of focus is so narrow with longer lenses it pays to test out the DA300 to make sure it's focus is adjusted correctly. I bought mine second hand from someone on the forum and a quick shot or two taken outside told me it backfocused on my k5. Put a +7 on the K5 and now it is easily one of my favorite lens. Anyway probably way too much sharing but I think your images are really nice and have fun with the DA300.
Thanks so much for your kind suggestions Dice. I am going to look into getting a monopod soon. I think it would double as a hiking pole too which would help also. I do use the TAV mode all the time when photographing birds. I try to keep the speed at 1/1000 to 1/2000s if I'm after BIFs. It is a learning process though but I'm enjoying it. You can never share to much in my opinion and I appreciate your taking the time.