Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
You didn't ask for it but.........
Lens: mostly DA 300mm Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Huntington Beach SP, SC 
Posted By: slowpez, 09-21-2012, 12:34 PM

Just returned from a week at our favorite state park and came back with a zillion photos and I am going to post every single one of them. I had such a great time with the 300 and have learned some of its limitations but i really, really love it. These are all hand held (I hate, really hate, my new tripod.) Feel free to critique to your hearts content. I had so much fun that it won't hurt my feelings a bit.
Here are five from all the food groups There were lots of Woodstorks and all kinds of egrets. Lots of insects and a big fellow to eat them all. The alligator crossed the road from salt marsh (rare for them to go fishing in a salt marsh) to a large fresh water pond. Scared the heck out of me as he was no more than eight feet away.
Trust me, there will be more photos to follow.

Last edited by slowpez; 10-19-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Views: 1,439
09-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice series ... and the alligator would have freaked me out ...
09-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
Pentaxian

A nice series Susan.The only one that is a little soft is the dragonfly.--charliezap
09-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

interesting series, like #2, the Bfly and the gator is awesome, ... I think I would have needed something a bit longer than 300m for that, cheers.

09-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That alligator looks like it is on some man made surface and to close for comfort!
09-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Nice series ... and the alligator would have freaked me out ...
Trust me, it did.

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
A nice series Susan.The only one that is a little soft is the dragonfly.--charliezap
Thanks for the input Charlie. That was taken with the Tammy 90 and I haven't used it much. I have one taken with the 300 that is a little sharper. If I can wrestle the Tammy from my husband I may learn to use it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
interesting series, like #2, the Bfly and the gator is awesome, ... I think I would have needed something a bit longer than 300m for that, cheers.
Do they make a 3000mm?

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
That alligator looks like it is on some man made surface and to close for comfort!
The park has a causeway that you can drive over. It separates the saltwater marsh from the freshwater pond. It was almost high tide on the saltwater side and the gator was crossing the causeway to get back to his native freshwater.
09-21-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you really got a little of everything here Susan, love the butterfly shot with the light through the wings and that is one nasty hungry looking gator.

09-22-2012, 06:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
you really got a little of everything here Susan, love the butterfly shot with the light through the wings and that is one nasty hungry looking gator.
Thanks for having a look and commenting Bob.
09-22-2012, 06:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Let me guess, the Alligator has right of way.

Great series by the way.
09-22-2012, 06:28 AM   #10

Nice photos. Just love the 'gator

Eebll
09-22-2012, 06:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eebll Quote
Nice photos. Just love the 'gator

Eebll
Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. He was a beauty.
09-22-2012, 06:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

All wonderful shots! I love the tones in the 2nd last, the butterfly backlit. Wonderful shot. The gator is going in the right direction and congratulations on being courageous enough to get a shot. When I encountered a bear while alone I was too busy getting out of its reach to take a shot. That first bird is prehistoric looking... and I love the composition of the dragonfly. Thanks for sharing your journey with your new lens!
09-22-2012, 06:41 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
All wonderful shots! I love the tones in the 2nd last, the butterfly backlit. Wonderful shot. The gator is going in the right direction and congratulations on being courageous enough to get a shot. When I encountered a bear while alone I was too busy getting out of its reach to take a shot. That first bird is prehistoric looking... and I love the composition of the dragonfly. Thanks for sharing your journey with your new lens!
Thanks again Tess. Much appreciated. For some reason these just don't look right after upload. Not sure what the problem is. I'm going to have to find a better means to upload the others.
09-22-2012, 07:03 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These look great to me, Susan - particularly for hand held.

Jer
09-22-2012, 07:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
These look great to me, Susan - particularly for hand held.

Jer
Thanks Jer. I appreciate the nice comment.