Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Very Red
Lens: Pentax 18 - 135, Tamron 90 macro, Sigma 70 - 300 Camera: K5 Photo Location: South Algonquin, Ontario 
Posted By: tessfully, 09-21-2012, 02:28 PM

Yesterday I went jogging in high winds and rain. I brought my camera anyway and when I got to the lake I snapped a couple of shots; not expecting much. They turned out very "painterly" and the colours were so rich I got up early this morning to go back with tripod and various lenses to see if I could get better images. Not sure how I did. I am not bumping the saturation on these, I turned down the luminescence on the reds and I lowered the preset for sharpness. I find the brilliant reds tend to lose definition.

The first two are from yesterday. I had the Pentax 18 - 135 and I used ISO 400. The first one is cropped as it totally lost all clarity on the edges, but I loved the tree.

And from today, same scene, direct morning sunlight Tamron 90, ISO 100 ... completely different feel.

I paddled over to our campsite on the lake to take these with the Sigma:

thanks for having a look!
Views: 837
09-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice Tess. Now a trip back to the same location on a regular basis to document the change of season as a documentary to be presented here in the future. Anyways, thanks for sharing.....Cliff
09-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great vivid autumn colours here.
09-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Autumn colours are always very nice. We don't get them at home, but at the mother in-laws we do, but never seem to be there at the right time. Damn work getting in the road.

Your capture does them justice. Beautiful.

09-22-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the autumn colors, Tess.

Jer
09-22-2012, 07:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

very nice colors Tess!
09-22-2012, 07:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

That Tammy sure does deliver on color Tess. Thanks for bringing us some fall color. Our pine trees just don't give us much in the way of color . Beautiful series.

09-22-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Whoa!! Wonderful colors, Tess! I can't wait 'til we see the color down here. That second shot is my favorite, something about the dark skies really sets off the vivid red!!
09-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the overcast sky seems to have improved the colors, doesn't work that way with me. Tess, is the red some type of maple, on our way to Bryce yesterday, we saw similar trees scattered throughout the landscape up in the mountains.
09-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another wonderful series. Those reds are quite remarkable even after you have toned them down, I hate to pick favourites but 3 & 4 with the water in the foreground and just a hint of reflection jump out to me.
09-23-2012, 05:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey all! I want to say a mass THANK YOU for having a look and for the nice comments on my very red tree photos. I have been trying to ignore this series as I wasn't sure I liked it that much. I think I do like the first two that were taken under dark rainy skies and lots of wind. To my eyes, colour like this seems to do better when the light is not bright, ...but they are mostly out of focus so I need to try another rainy day with a better set up. Reading all these wonderful comments has me looking at the last couple with fresh perspective. I am learning that photography can be moody. Thank you again for always supporting my endeavors
09-23-2012, 06:38 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
The first one is cropped as it totally lost all clarity on the edges, but I loved the tree.
I would like to see it uncropped! Lovely set, from your comments/self criticism are you seeking the perfect shot? I have seen perfect lighting, perfect composition, perfect portraits, perfect landscapes but never the perfect shot. It is the imperfections that makes photos special to me. Those by yourself and barebutt Norm are inspirational.