Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

the Grandeur of Bryce Canyon
Posted By: Bob Harris, 09-21-2012, 09:52 PM

Bryce Canyon, famous for its unique geology, consists of a series of horseshoe-shaped canyons carved from the eastern edge of the Paunsaugunt Plateau. The erosional force of frost-wedging and the dissolving power of rainwater have shaped the colorful limestone rock into bizarre shapes, including slot canyons, windows, fins, and spires called "hoodoos". We spent the day visiting this fascinating National Park , a 200 mile day trip, and this is the first upload this evening. I left the road on the upper left in the photo to give some scale. Where the photo was taken, we were at 9100 feet.

Attached Images

Views: 1,141
09-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Every photo I see of Bryce Canyon makes me want to come and see it with my own eyes. Simply spectacular. Normally I would go to great lengths to exclude evidence of human activity in the landscape but in this case, that section of roadway shows how insignificant we humans are in the landscape.

Thanks for sharing this special place.

09-22-2012, 08:28 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Every photo I see of Bryce Canyon makes me want to come and see it with my own eyes. Simply spectacular. Normally I would go to great lengths to exclude evidence of human activity in the landscape but in this case, that section of roadway shows how insignificant we humans are in the landscape.

Thanks for sharing this special place.
Bruce, along with the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone, this is the other National Park that I would recommend seeing if one had just a few choices. There are several trails to take to get that up close view and many turnouts to stop and view from the road, which is a one way 18 mile drive to the top, then turn around and return to the park entrance. To me this is erosion at its best, you got to love these hoodoos.
09-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
What a special shot, Bob! The colors are amazing and I really love that stretch of road leading off into the distance!
thanks for the kind words here Lori, I wanted one shot to interest others to visit this park and I felt this photo accomplishes that. If a person doesn't want to drive up the canyon, they provide shuttle buses to the major overviews at no cost.
09-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
It looks like something not of this world Bob.Real nice.--charliezap
On a previous visit we took a hike and viewed the hoodoos up close, really awesome to see up close and like you said "not of this world".

09-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Echoing Tess's comments - felt the same way when I viewed the photo - looking forward to more!
thanks so much Stan, I am glad this thread got so much interest, it is a very unique national park, put it on your "must see" list.