Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Woodstorks
Lens: DA* 300mm Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Huntington Beach SP 
Posted By: slowpez, 09-22-2012, 07:35 AM

One of nature's uglier birds. Ungainly fliers, keep their heads buried in muck, eat awful slimy things. As you can see, even the gators pass them by. For some reason, I just love them. The image quality sure sucks. Wish I knew why. They are so much sharper on my screen. If anyone knows what may be causing this I would love it if you would share. The last group I uploaded from my computer but I uploaded these to my google web album but they didn't come out much better.

Views: 496
09-22-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are right, they are ugly, but sort of fascinating. Some well-placed shots there, I especially like the first one because it is almost a close up, and the one of the stork in flight.
09-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I didn't view each image separately, but when I do "View Image" on the first four, I get a slightly smaller picture than ordinary viewing on the web page. In other words, the image is being resized by the web software. I don't KNOW that that's what causing your problem or not - but it may be.
09-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
Den
Veteran Member

Where's the diapers and babies?

What size are they here, a couple hundred KB? What size are the ones you are viewing not from this site?

09-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Susan these are great images. I think they are very cool birds because they look so prehistoric. I wonder if the resolution you are uploading your images with is affecting the quality you can see? I am not sure how, but I know we can change the upload resolution and a low resolution means they won't be a sharp here as the originals on your computer. Maybe it got changed by accident. This is a technical neophyte trying to think of a logical suggestion.
09-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice series. I've not seen this species before.

Thanks for sharing

Tom G
09-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

love that last shot Susan, to think such a long legged bird would spend time at the top of a tree, a bit of a balancing act I would think.
09-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
You are right, they are ugly, but sort of fascinating. Some well-placed shots there, I especially like the first one because it is almost a close up, and the one of the stork in flight.
Thanks so much for your kind comments.

QuoteOriginally posted by jford Quote
I didn't view each image separately, but when I do "View Image" on the first four, I get a slightly smaller picture than ordinary viewing on the web page. In other words, the image is being resized by the web software. I don't KNOW that that's what causing your problem or not - but it may be.
QuoteOriginally posted by Den Quote
Where's the diapers and babies?

What size are they here, a couple hundred KB? What size are the ones you are viewing not from this site?
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Susan these are great images. I think they are very cool birds because they look so prehistoric. I wonder if the resolution you are uploading your images with is affecting the quality you can see? I am not sure how, but I know we can change the upload resolution and a low resolution means they won't be a sharp here as the originals on your computer. Maybe it got changed by accident. This is a technical neophyte trying to think of a logical suggestion.
I feel that I have changed something. Usually when I upload from the computer the exif info link is included at the top of the photo. For some reason that is missing now. I keep the photos at 900 wide and let the height be whatever it becomes. Most average from 900kb to 1.5 mg for uploading. They are 300 dpi also. I use lightroom to resize without allowing it to increase the size. I guess I will just have to try and figure out what I have done. Maybe Adam needs more money from me .

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Nice series. I've not seen this species before.

Thanks for sharing

Tom G
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
love that last shot Susan, to think such a long legged bird would spend time at the top of a tree, a bit of a balancing act I would think.
Thanks Tom and Bob.