Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
USS Constellation
Lens: Sigma 8-16 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Baltimore Inner Harbor ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: interested_observer, 09-23-2012, 05:19 AM

While walking around the Inner Harbor at Baltimore, they have the historic ship USS Constellation (the second one - the first one was the sister ship to the USS Constitution, and the third one is the aircraft carrier). The area lighting is strong and bright - so much so, flares are unavoidable, and its impossible to get any type of decent shot with out a light stand somewhere in the frame.

The rest of the Inner Harbors shots are at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/199927-cityscape-baltimo...er-harbor.html

Attached Images

Views: 1,232
09-23-2012, 05:28 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow! Is it all in-camera HDR?
09-23-2012, 06:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Excellent, great choice to do these at night, and I really like the compositions, you really used the ultrawide well.
09-23-2012, 07:00 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

love the compositions here, beautiful colors and P/P . You're not in Tumbleweed right now for sure.

07-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Wow! Is it all in-camera HDR?
No, not in camera HDR, just a single shot, but used a tone mapping software utility to help bring out the shadows.
Note - I wanted to add that - especially since I have learned this lesson several times now, that with large ships or boats in general - at night, THEY MOVE! (even if they are docked or tied up) Wind, tide, etc. - even though they look like they don't move, they do. So, by using bracketing or in body HDR, you are taking multiple shots, which just amplify the movement. That is why, if I am even going to try for a HDR shot, I don't use in camera HDR, and just use bracketing. If there is any movement and the combined shots look crappy - I can use the best single shot and process that - thereby avoiding the problem.

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Excellent, great choice to do these at night, and I really like the compositions, you really used the ultrawide well.
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
love the compositions here, beautiful colors and P/P . You're not in Tumbleweed right now for sure.
The composition, believe it or not - was based on trying to minimize the burn out of the lighting. In retrospect, I should have used the EV compensation to underexpose, but it did not occur to me to do that. Live and learn. I have some others that suffer from burn through on the street lights even worse. I have been working on learning Light Room 4, so have been using these older shots to see what I can do - since its 110 out side here in the shady part of downtown Tumbleweed.

In some of the more extreme cases of street lamp burn through, I really don't know what else can be done.

Last edited by interested_observer; 07-12-2013 at 12:38 AM.
07-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
No, not in camera HDR, just a single shot, but used a tone mapping software utility to help bring out the shadows.
Really great work!
07-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
what a great set