Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Prairies
Lens: DA* 16-50 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Southern Alberta 
Posted By: daacon, 09-26-2012, 07:34 AM

It's been a while since I posted - was very busy with work and then we recently got to spend an extended weekend away. We did 1800km in 4 days , traveling to Waterton National Park (Alberta), Glacier National Park (Montana) and finally Kanaskisis country (Alberta). It was whirlwind trip but one we enjoyed.

We'll start with the wind turbines. Southern Alberta is known for it's wind and there were quite a few of these along the way.

They say Waterton is where the Prairies meets the Mountains and 6.5 hours into the trip we get our first taste. (it is the most borring drive ever ! but well worth the trip )

Views: 725
09-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a difference between those two landscapes!
09-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

love the last one...I'd enjoy riding my bike along that road.
09-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Heading South is a very boring trip, until you see the wind turbines, then it is exciting.... for half an hour. I have never made it to Waterton, but I am sure it picks up. Heading West through Pincher Creek and into BC on Highway 3 definitely picks up the scenery though

09-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ah, you finally made it down Dave and have the pictures to prove it, nice pictures as well, love the last one. Have to agree on the boring part though.
09-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
What a difference between those two landscapes!
Thanks fries yep the difference is dramatic for sure.

QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
love the last one...I'd enjoy riding my bike along that road.
Thanks forensicscientist - there were many bikers in Waterton and many roads / trails you would have enjoyed.

QuoteOriginally posted by calculator01 Quote
Heading South is a very boring trip, until you see the wind turbines, then it is exciting.... for half an hour. I have never made it to Waterton, but I am sure it picks up. Heading West through Pincher Creek and into BC on Highway 3 definitely picks up the scenery though
Thanks calculator indeed the scenery got interesting just a few miles outside of Waterton and then we drove to Glacier National Park, Montana which was a beautiful drive as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Ah, you finally made it down Dave and have the pictures to prove it, nice pictures as well, love the last one. Have to agree on the boring part though.
Thanks Heinrich - yep we finally decided we needed to go , partly from the pictures you have posted as I know you have been there many times. And the drive from Calgary to Waterton is more boring than the drive from Edmonton to Calgary !
09-27-2012, 06:17 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Glacier-Waterton; they never get boring Dave so the drive has to be worth it. The last one is beautiful. Sounds like you had a great trip.
09-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Nice stuff, buddy. The last one is magic.

Jer

09-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I can't take my eyes off the last one
09-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #10
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StDevious Quote
ditto ditto ditto - and coming last in the sequence after the turbines made it especially eye catching.

Dave - if you want to humour me - tell me what you think of the last photo but with 1/2 to 2/3 of the sky cropped. I think it will bring out the mountains a little more. No need to post the revised image, just curious on your thoughts.
09-28-2012, 04:32 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Glacier-Waterton; they never get boring Dave so the drive has to be worth it. The last one is beautiful. Sounds like you had a great trip.
Thanks Susan - it was a whilrwind but a good one.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Nice stuff, buddy. The last one is magic.
Jer
Thanks buddy - after 6.5 hours of driving the flat prairies it was a welcome relief !

QuoteOriginally posted by StDevious Quote
Thanks StDevious appreciate the comments.

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
ditto ditto ditto - and coming last in the sequence after the turbines made it especially eye catching.
Dave - if you want to humour me - tell me what you think of the last photo but with 1/2 to 2/3 of the sky cropped. I think it will bring out the mountains a little more. No need to post the revised image, just curious on your thoughts.
Thanks Marc - I will play with it , I do like the long and winding road but I do agree different compositions would highlight different aspects.
09-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #12
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Originally posted by MSL Quote ditto ditto ditto - and coming last in the sequence after the turbines made it especially eye catching. Dave - if you want to humour me - tell me what you think of the last photo but with 1/2 to 2/3 of the sky cropped. I think it will bring out the mountains a little more. No need to post the revised image, just curious on your thoughts. Thanks Marc - I will play with it , I do like the long and winding road but I do agree different compositions would highlight different aspects.
Dave - I think cropping it the way I suggest will only enhance the long and winding road, because it will come close to spanning from the top to the bottom of the image. Play away!