Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 artistic shots. Sorry 2 from the wrong camera
Posted By: little laker, 02-03-2008, 11:29 PM

I'm not comparing the cameras this time, although if the pixel peepers want they can right click on the pic's and open a 2500 pixel image up in another window.

With a couple of events coming up soon I'm trying to learn a few of the features on my Sigma SD14. Plus I've never worked with a remote flash until a few days ago.
So I set up the flash and grabbed out the cameras.

The only processing done to these top 2 is converting them to JPG, and re-sized.
I had to rotate the one pic as well, since the Sigma doesn't appear to have that feature.

If you haven't figured it out already the flash is on the other side. Shining through the bottle.

While I was at it I tried my K100D for a similar shot

The camera settings were pretty much the same, other than the ISO (the Sigma has ISO 50) and I've had to do a fair amount of PP to get these results

All the data should be in place.
Views: 2,278
02-03-2008, 11:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Umm, Stu, in the last picture there is no off camera flash... What flash are you using off camera? If it's not Pentax it ain't gonna fire wirelessly because the built-in PTTL triggers the flash with the preflash and isn't not present during the actual exposure. You'll have to sync it using a a sync cable with an adater on the hotshoe of your K100D to give it a PC port.
02-04-2008, 12:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I'm using the Sigma EF - 500 DG Super Chris
I had cameras flash trigger it as a slave. Triggered by my cameras flash.

I'm suddenly thinking that it's firing a moment too late
I wonder if I can somehow use a pre-flash to trigger it

I don't see any sync cord plugin, so I uess that I'll have to wait until I get my Metz fixed
02-04-2008, 01:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Those first two are a couple of cool images Stu. I like the effect you got.

Paul

02-04-2008, 04:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The lighting is artistic.

I like the 2nd last shot where the lighting reveals the fruit in more dynamic fashion
02-04-2008, 07:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I'm using the Sigma EF - 500 DG Super Chris
I had cameras flash trigger it as a slave. Triggered by my cameras flash.

I'm suddenly thinking that it's firing a moment too late
I wonder if I can somehow use a pre-flash to trigger it

I don't see any sync cord plugin, so I uess that I'll have to wait until I get my Metz fixed
Hmmmm, a lot of those Sigma's had to be rechipped for the Pentax system, but the K100D doesn't have the wireless option in it like the K10D. I think you'll have the hardest time in the world trying to fire the K100D and your wireless flash because of the P-ttl.
02-04-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Hmmmm, a lot of those Sigma's had to be rechipped for the Pentax system, but the K100D doesn't have the wireless option in it like the K10D. I think you'll have the hardest time in the world trying to fire the K100D and your wireless flash because of the P-ttl.
I've been reading the flash booklet a little more Chris, and I might be able to speed the flashes sync up a little more. I'll try it in the next day or so and see what happens.

If it doesn't work I can always buy a radio flash trigger, or possibly figure something else out.

It would sure be nice to figure something affordable out, so anyone on a budget can use an existing flash unit.

edit, I tried speeding the flash up as much as possible, and even slowed the shutter speed. And haven't been happy with the results.
I can see the flash going off through the viewfinder, so the mirror must be down already.

Back to the drawing board.

Last edited by little laker; 02-04-2008 at 10:45 AM.