Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread

Against my better judgement
Posted By: slowpez, 09-28-2012, 07:25 AM

Every now and then I submit a few photos to the PEG just for a laugh. Don't get me wrong; I always think they have a chance of making it or I wouldn't do it. Feedback when you are lucky enough to get some can be laughable and I rarely learn much from it but that is for another thread on another section of the forum.
Anyhow, this one came back with the comment that it wasn't centered enough. I liked it enough to resubmit but don't care for the cropped version as much so thought I would get a second opinion. By the way, I know it won't be accepted but I do like to try.

Last edited by slowpez; 10-19-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Views: 1,802
09-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it is a fine photo, something I would be proud to capture. Could have been framed a bit differently of course, every photo could. I have very quickly run the 'rule of thirds" and the 'golden ratio' over this trying to get the eye and the point of the beak in the hot spots but I could just not fit it. Some pictures don't lend themselves to the convention rules. Having received several rejections from this gallery and mostly incomprehensible feedback, I share your your frustration.

09-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think it looks fine as is. If I was taking it I might have aimed the camera about 1/4 photo width to the left. If cropping, I would have chopped out about 1/4 from the right side. But I'm being pretty picky. Seems like a very nice shot to me! I've never tried to enter a picture to the PEG, so I don't really know what they're looking for.
09-29-2012, 06:09 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
I think it is a fine photo, something I would be proud to capture. Could have been framed a bit differently of course, every photo could. I have very quickly run the 'rule of thirds" and the 'golden ratio' over this trying to get the eye and the point of the beak in the hot spots but I could just not fit it. Some pictures don't lend themselves to the convention rules. Having received several rejections from this gallery and mostly incomprehensible feedback, I share your your frustration.
Thanks Bruce. When they rejected it the second time they left no feedback. I suspect they are keeping an eye on this thread. It was the fastest rejection on record though. I don't know why I put myself through the rejection process as I am not learning anything from it. Time to give it a rest.

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
I think it looks fine as is. If I was taking it I might have aimed the camera about 1/4 photo width to the left. If cropping, I would have chopped out about 1/4 from the right side. But I'm being pretty picky. Seems like a very nice shot to me! I've never tried to enter a picture to the PEG, so I don't really know what they're looking for.
Thanks GeoJerry. The problem with leaving more on the left of the photo was that the bird's body intrudes. Thanks for taking the time to throw in a comment and help me out. I don't know what the PEG is looking for either.

Thanks for all the help on this one guys. I don't want this to turn into a PEG bashing thread (there is already one in another section of the forum.) Just needed some input on the crop and, as always, you guys have been a big help. Thanks again.
09-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Great timing and a very fine shot, Susan. I like the first version much better. Not sure why they'd want it centered. But we're all different and that's what makes photography interesting. If we all liked and took the exact same shots, it would get boring rather quickly!

09-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I think that shot is a keeper Susan - have not submitted any to PEG suppose I should do that ......then again haha
09-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Both are fine ... good shot either way IMHO!
09-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Great timing and a very fine shot, Susan. I like the first version much better. Not sure why they'd want it centered. But we're all different and that's what makes photography interesting. If we all liked and took the exact same shots, it would get boring rather quickly!
Thanks for that. I still like the first one better but I tend to like animals that show a little of their environment.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
I think that shot is a keeper Susan - have not submitted any to PEG suppose I should do that ......then again haha
Go for it Dave. You can make me look bad.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Both are fine ... good shot either way IMHO!
Thanks so much Jean.

09-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I just got a bit of insider info, can't reveal the source since I don't want to get banned but it turns out that the fish's brother is actually a PEG judge! It is an amazing photograph but it never had a chance with that kind of criticism.
09-30-2012, 06:22 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
I just got a bit of insider info, can't reveal the source since I don't want to get banned but it turns out that the fish's brother is actually a PEG judge! It is an amazing photograph but it never had a chance with that kind of criticism.

It just got accepted in its original form by the PPG so I now don't feel too bad.
09-30-2012, 07:42 AM   #25
Inactive Account

In my mind rules are to be broken,except those legal one's, in photography there are many things that make a photo,
in yours the story was the bird and the fish [ was it to much for him] lol myself I find it interesting in any form of presentation.
With a photo like this what really set the guides for cropping the photo , in this case a very tight crop to me is nice but its to
much to me you need to include some of the background here. Now for the question [ How much or How Little ] Now I do
like the very first photo in this thread, but to much to the right , if you remove about 1-1/2 inch from that end. I think it would bring balance to it:
just my two coppers here

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Thanks everyone. The photo has already been turned down - a real record even for the PEG. No comment whatsoever this time so I figure they are monitoring this thread. I am pleased with the shot so I will now let this photo slip quietly into my archives where lurk many photos that only I like. That is the bottom line anyway.
09-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sqjaw Quote
In my mind rules are to be broken,except those legal one's, in photography there are many things that make a photo,
in yours the story was the bird and the fish [ was it to much for him] lol myself I find it interesting in any form of presentation.
With a photo like this what really set the guides for cropping the photo , in this case a very tight crop to me is nice but its to
much to me you need to include some of the background here. Now for the question [ How much or How Little ] Now I do
like the very first photo in this thread, but to much to the right , if you remove about 1-1/2 inch from that end. I think it would bring balance to it:
just my two coppers here
Thanks sqjaw. I appreciate the input especially since you allowed me to leave some of the stuff on the right hand side.
10-01-2012, 12:11 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I think the second image looks the best in my opinion.It stops the bird coming out of the side of the image and centres it more.But either way,you captured the fish in the birds mouth on the perfect angle and I would say you didn't have much time to freeze this,so well done Susan.
10-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Barnster Quote
I think the second image looks the best in my opinion.It stops the bird coming out of the side of the image and centres it more.But either way,you captured the fish in the birds mouth on the perfect angle and I would say you didn't have much time to freeze this,so well done Susan.
Thanks Barnster.