Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
Against my better judgement
Lens: DA* 300mm Camera: K-5 
Posted By: slowpez, 09-28-2012, 07:25 AM

Every now and then I submit a few photos to the PEG just for a laugh. Don't get me wrong; I always think they have a chance of making it or I wouldn't do it. Feedback when you are lucky enough to get some can be laughable and I rarely learn much from it but that is for another thread on another section of the forum.
Anyhow, this one came back with the comment that it wasn't centered enough. I liked it enough to resubmit but don't care for the cropped version as much so thought I would get a second opinion. By the way, I know it won't be accepted but I do like to try.

Last edited by slowpez; 10-19-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Views: 1,803
09-28-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what if you cropped it horizontally as well so it was tighter on the head, but retained a 3:2 aspect

as an aside, your title made me wonder if that is what the egret was thinking?
09-28-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't like either. I think somewhere in between is the best option - say where the red tip at the bottom of the beak is on the vertical centre line of the image.
09-28-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
what if you cropped it horizontally as well so it was tighter on the head, but retained a 3:2 aspect

as an aside, your title made me wonder if that is what the egret was thinking?
Glad you caught the title Lowell. Pretty sure that thought was running through his mind.

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Don't like either. I think somewhere in between is the best option - say where the red tip at the bottom of the beak is on the vertical centre line of the image.
The red tip is a drop of blood from the fish. OK, new crop then. Is this one better?

Last edited by slowpez; 10-19-2012 at 10:39 AM.
09-28-2012, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #5
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Definitely better. I played with it a bit, and starting from this revised image the view I liked best was when I kept the aspect ratio the same, but cropped from the top and right side, so that it was close to the top of the birds head. The problem with the original is there is too much dead space on the right and you need to do what you can to minimize it, without distorting the aspect ratio too much. It is okay to be off center - it is more the lack of anything visual on the right that is the problem.
09-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it. Last time I cropped one too close to the top of the bird's head I was criticized for it. They wanted more space. Think I will find a happy medium. I really like the background on the original though but since I've been playing around with your suggestions I have changed my mind. Again, thanks so much for your input; I really do appreciate it.
09-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Nice catch Susan.

09-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Talking about PEG, sometimes everything is fine but acceptance lies on the cropping.
I have this pic :
Flowerpecker on a stick #2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

at 1st commented to crop tighter, then another judge prefer the earlier crop, when re-submitted again another judge don't like it.
In the end I gave up after submitted 3 times.
09-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kengoh Quote
Nice catch Susan.
QuoteOriginally posted by kengoh Quote
Talking about PEG, sometimes everything is fine but acceptance lies on the cropping.
I have this pic :
Flowerpecker on a stick #2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

at 1st commented to crop tighter, then another judge prefer the earlier crop, when re-submitted again another judge don't like it.
In the end I gave up after submitted 3 times.
I know what you mean Ken. I have a few that have been accepted and a whole lot that haven't. They played the crop don't crop game with one of my other shots and, like you, I finally just gave it up. I will keep submitting for a short period until they make me so depressed I quit taking photos. Once I get my confidence back I start all over and let them make me depressed again.
09-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I like the first one better, but would suggest a little cropping of the space above the bird's head.
Funny photo, good focus, I'd just crop it tighter (so there is less negative, empty space) so its more like a portrait almost.
09-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Great shot no matter how you crop it. I kinda like the first one the best.
09-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I like the first one better, but would suggest a little cropping of the space above the bird's head.
Funny photo, good focus, I'd just crop it tighter (so there is less negative, empty space) so its more like a portrait almost.
Thanks for the input Na. I do tend to leave lots of space around my birds. I kind of like to see them in their environment. I forget that is not always the best way. I will allow my latest upload to the PEG to get turned down then play with it some more.
09-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Thanks for the input Na. I do tend to leave lots of space around my birds. I kind of like to see them in their environment.
While that isn't wrong, I just think that a closer crop makes the viewer feel like they are there, makes the photo almost intimate, and in this case, the background is just smooth bokeh. Good luck though!
09-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Glad you caught the title Lowell. Pretty sure that thought was running through his mind.
Thanks

had another thought.

without posting the result, do a 4x5 aspect ratio vertical crop tight on the head

it puts the eye not quite at the 1/3 down position on the frame
09-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. The photo has already been turned down - a real record even for the PEG. No comment whatsoever this time so I figure they are monitoring this thread. I am pleased with the shot so I will now let this photo slip quietly into my archives where lurk many photos that only I like. That is the bottom line anyway.