Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Flicker My Flicker!
Lens: Tamron Adaptall 40A Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Cottonwood, CA USA ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F3.5 
Posted By: WillH, 09-28-2012, 09:31 PM

Another bird that isn't often see in our lawn. A female Red-Shafted Flicker! Well, it's the cross bred version found in our area. I had to shot this though a window. Still hot and dry so the Flicker came in to cool off and get a drink from the lawn sprinkler. The male is much prettier with a touch of red.

Not too bad, a Scrub Jay in the morning and a Flicker in the afternoon. Two new birds photographed in one day! Fantastic! I'll learn to keep the telephoto lens on the camera.......Had to crop drastically! Yes, I need to mow the lawn!

I was going to see if igor or pete-tarmigan could ID the bird, but these birds are so interbred it's difficult to tell exactly what variety of bird it is without a male. Not fair!

Last edited by WillH; 01-12-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Views: 1,045
09-29-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Delightful little fellow isn't he, don't think we get these over here. Nicely captured.
09-29-2012, 06:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice capture.
09-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Find shade where you can. Nice capture.

09-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snappychappy Quote
Delightful little fellow isn't he, don't think we get these over here. Nicely captured.
You have some wonderful birds on England, seems many are associated with water, i.e.. ducks and such!

daacon, you got that right! It's HOT! You noticed the bird never got past the shade!

slowpez, Tnx, I took 12 photos and managed to keep just a few! Little buggers refuse to hold still and pose! You've got some wonderful bird photos posted lately!
09-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice captures Will!

I had a pair in the yard area near the house yesterday - had really never tried to capture them before. I found very quickly that they are real flighty - While on my deck, just raising the camera to my eye made them take off numerous times. I can appreciate your shots as they are indeed hard to get close enough.
09-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hey Will - your photos got me off my duff and I finally got a couple shots of one of our Flickers:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/13183...ml#post2118853

09-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now that bird knows where to spend some time, in the shade, worms in the grass and water. Do you get many quail in your area?
09-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Now that bird knows where to spend some time, in the shade, worms in the grass and water. Do you get many quail in your area?
Yes! As well as Doves, Pigeons, and Turkeys! I've photographed them with film but not with anything digital! The problem is our birds are extremely skittish and avoid humans with instant flight! We also have several varieties of hawks that I'd like to photograph. My plan is to do a calendar with just local birds! Well, it keeps me from chasing cars.....
09-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Hey Will - your photos got me off my duff and I finally got a couple shots of one of our Flickers:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/13183...ml#post2118853
That's exactly what I'm attempting to do, "stay active"! Bought a few books and subscribe to a "Nature Photography" magazine. Problem is opportunities to photograph birds happen generally with no planing and or advance warning, so the books don't offer much! Also, can't see myself setting in a hide for hours on end. I'll just take the opportunities as they happen. Tis great fun!